Solved! Laptop capable of 4k video to my TV

derwood

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Hello,
I need to replace my home theater PC since it can't do 4k video natively, and I would already have to spend up to $200 for a video card replacement. Also, the current PC is just too big and I would like to reduce the size for asthetic reasons. I do not game, so a gaming laptop is not needed. I do use the PC for more than just video streaming, but any modern computer can operate the software I use. I am hoping to stay under $600, but the least expensive the better. I have another high end computer for all my other needs, so just 4k video that I can connect via HDMI is my primary concern. Thanks.

UPDATE: I had searched the forum before posting, but after I found a post from a few days ago that someone recommended an Acer Nitro 5 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Gaming-i5-7300HQ-GeForce-AN515-51-55WL/dp/B074Q54GSR
Is a video card like the 1050TI the minimum needed to have 4k video?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Solution
It depends a bit what 4k videos you wanna watch. E.g. Netflix is using 4k HDR which needs 3GB of dedicated video RAM to run. A 1050 without TI should work, eventually you will need a displayport to HDMI2.0 adapter.
E.g. with a >=UHD 620 Intel integrated graphics
It depends a bit what 4k videos you wanna watch. E.g. Netflix is using 4k HDR which needs 3GB of dedicated video RAM to run. A 1050 without TI should work, eventually you will need a displayport to HDMI2.0 adapter.
E.g. with a >=UHD 620 Intel integrated graphics

Solution