Laptop charger disconnects at full battery, reconnects itself shortly after.

Aug 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate your input on the problem I'm having with my laptop. It's a bit old now, but works fine for the most part. The issue is that when I leave the laptop plugged in to charge, it automatically disconnects at about 98% charge, and reconnects when the battery is at 97%, charges up to 98%, then disconnects, and repeats indefinitely. Strangely enough, if I unplug the laptop, and let the battery discharge through normal use, and then plug the charger in (say when 10% battery is left), it charges up to 98% perfectly fine and doesn't disconnect (until, of course, it gets up to 98%, at which point it disconnects).

The original battery that came with the laptop died, so I've been using a replacement battery for just over 1 year. The battery doesn't seem to be the issue, because it charges fine and holds the charge well. If the laptop is unplugged, it lasts for quite some time - so I don't think it's the battery.

I've also tried buying a brand new power cord/adapter, but unfortunately this did not fix my problem. I read online that I might have to replace the charging connector inside my laptop, but this seems like it could lead to a bunch of new problems. Other info: running Windows 7 if that's relevant.

Any insight or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!!

EDIT: Even when the charger is plugged in, when it gets to 98% it disconnects - it does not say "plugged in, not charging". The battery icon looks as if it wasn't plugged in at all (and I get the "unplugged sound" from my laptop when I reach 98% battery).

Solution
A lot of laptops nowadays have failsafes to prevent overcharging, and it sounds like yours does too. Maybe try looking in the bios for battery settings.

Also, try this:
Power off the laptop.
Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
Power ON the laptop.
I think this is not really a big deal.

I think that somehow the brain behind the whole charging process "thinks" you are at 100% when you are at 98% for some reason.

OR you really are at 100% and it's displaying 98% for some reason.

I think that it's likely you could spend a lot of time trying to figure this out...and never figure it out.

Being that the machine is running OK (it is....correct?).....I probably wouldn't be too concerned.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
A lot of laptops nowadays have failsafes to prevent overcharging, and it sounds like yours does too. Maybe try looking in the bios for battery settings.

Also, try this:
Power off the laptop.
Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
Power ON the laptop.

Solution