Laptop Cooling Fan Very Loud

animegirl1990

Estimable
May 20, 2014
I bought a laptop cooling fan with a USB thing on it and when I plug it into one USB port, it is very loud even though my computer gets cool. Is there a reason for this? Sorry if this is not in the right category, but I do not know what kind of category this is

Suget419

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
This would go into Cooling. If this is a external fan make sure that there's nothing obstructing the fins of the fan, as well as making sure the fins aren't rubbing against any case material, this could emit a loud whining sound.

animegirl1990

Estimable
May 20, 2014

Well yes it is an outside cooling fan. I am sitting on my bed with my covers underneath me and it is much quieter without the cooling fan attached to it and it does not get as hot as my sister's does when it is not attached [so far]

You may have simply purchased a laptop cooler with a loud fan or the fan is defective. When purchasing a laptop cooler you should read any user comments to find out whether the cooler is good and/or quiet before you actually buy it.

Also, do not place the laptop directly on any soft surfaces like a blanket or pillow because that can block the air vents underneath the laptop and cause the laptop to overheat. Do this long enough and it can cause permanent damage.

VicVega1

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015

Another thing to remember is dust removal. I recently got a 20°C drop in temps just by taking the bottom panel off and thoroughly dusting the components with compressed air. Laptop's cool, fan is quiet. Most people forget about that and jump straight to external cooling.

TRENDING THREADS