Solved! Laptop Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
So I have a challenge for the TomsHardware Mobile computing community...

I have a Sager notebook, a 17" monster that sucks up power and puts off heat like a freaking furnace. Now I am completely satisfied with the performance of the laptop, but what I'm not satisfied with is how the back side of it becomes molten hot after about an hour of gaming.

Now here's the deal, I've been looking for some Laptop coolers, but all the ones I find place the fans directly below the laptop, but that's not what is heating up. It is the back two corners and the back edge of the machine that's heating up so much.

Are there any others that have experienced this problem and found a solution? Any suggestions?

Solution
you won't find a cooler with fans on the ass of your laptop (pardon the french). because coolers don't go by what is heating up, coolers help push cold air into the air intakes on your laptop, which is most cases are on the bottom of the laptop, which is also the case with your Sager.

Off the top of my head I can tell you, unless the heating up is causing performance/hardware issues for you, there probably isn't much you can do. Make a custom fitted frame with liquid cooling to go around the back would be a solution. But again, for application points, you would be trying to cool the exhaust side of the laptop, while the whole point of the cooling system is to cool the air on the intake side to provide the most cooling in the middle...

AntiZig

Distinguished
you won't find a cooler with fans on the ass of your laptop (pardon the french). because coolers don't go by what is heating up, coolers help push cold air into the air intakes on your laptop, which is most cases are on the bottom of the laptop, which is also the case with your Sager.

Off the top of my head I can tell you, unless the heating up is causing performance/hardware issues for you, there probably isn't much you can do. Make a custom fitted frame with liquid cooling to go around the back would be a solution. But again, for application points, you would be trying to cool the exhaust side of the laptop, while the whole point of the cooling system is to cool the air on the intake side to provide the most cooling in the middle where the chipset is, rather than the exhaust vents.

Cheap solution get a small fan to point at the back of the case, but that will do close to nothing, besides creating extra load of the laptop's internal fans in order to cope with interfering airflows.

Fit an ice pack at the back? - stupid because you will have condensation.

I mean basically, I doubt there is a solution to this, given that we cannot modify the laptop's internal cooling system, and even if you could, there won't be enough space for proper implementation of the solution.

TLDR, don't try to cool your evaporator, it's meant to do what it's doing. Try to cope with the problem by external factors like getting an AC in the room and setting the temp 2 degrees lower or something like that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.