Question Laptop CPU upgrade

Aug 25, 2019
Hello,
I have an Asus G53jw-sx268d which has an i5 480m and it can be changed. I want to know if is it possible to upgrade it to an i7 720qm or 840qm?

rico57

Great
Aug 27, 2019
hi
it depends on your motherboard
if you have the 2 RAM slots version, it is i5,
if 4 it is i7 compatible.
(2 RAM slots are under the keyboard and 2 at usual place.)

but first CORE generation CPU's get very hot ...
if you really need power you should look for a higher generation laptop
but it is possible to do your upgrade.
(at worst you will need to change the motherboard too, if you have only 2 RAM slots)

Aug 25, 2019
hi
it depends on your motherboard
if you have the 2 RAM slots version, it is i5,
if 4 it is i7 compatible.
(2 RAM slots are under the keyboard and 2 at usual place.)

but first CORE generation CPU's get very hot ...
if you really need power you should look for a higher generation laptop
but it is possible to do your upgrade.
(at worst you will need to change the motherboard too, if you have only 2 RAM slots)
I don't want to spend money for another laptop, and I saw I can upgrade mine for just 35$. I don't think heat is going to be a problem, my CPU never reached more than 80°C after being used at full power for several hours. My i5 is a 35W CPU and i7 720qm is 45W. My power supply has 120W and I know there's a version of my laptop that has i7 720qm but it came with a 150W power supply. Is that going to be a problem?(sorry for bad english if it is)

rico57

Great
Aug 27, 2019
Hi
when in game and battery plugged in, probably the laptop will cut charger and go to battery
and go back to charger after a second and so on
very annoying
First check the number of RAM slots on your motherboard before buying anything...

Sep 7, 2019
To upgrade an old one, You can sell it for few money and get directly one better with better cpu already installed, like Hp 8570w with i7 3rd generation.

Hp 8560/8760 are not able to upgrade to i7 3rd generation.

Workstation laptop are a little heavier but better anyway.

Anyway it's not a bad idea just in case you are able (compatible? ) to upgrade to i7 2nd generation, because it's a quadricore, instead of dual core i7 840qm