Laptop crashes with no BSOD - weirdest problem ever

alxpap

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
Hi all,

Excuse me if this has been solved before but I searched and couldn't find anything. Here is my interesting story:

I got a second hand Toshiba Satellite C70D-B-10U which came with Win 8, and upgraded to Win 10. It kept crashing with no BSOD during video playback, so one of the many things I tried was downgrading to Windows 7. Here is my current state:

The laptop generally works fine, but crashes without any errors (nothing in event logs) when I start a game (specifically, League of Legends, right when I join the game, not during character select etc). I've been looking for the issue for weeks (updated all drivers, worked only on battery, only on mains, looked for seemingly faulty capacitors, used new thermal paste on CPU, everything) and I've reached a point where I found that if I remove half of my RAM (2x4GB), it works as it should.

The very puzzling part is that each of the 4GB modules work fine in any of the slots, but they cause the laptop to crash when they are used together and I game. Memtest doesn't report anything wrong either. This really doesn't make sense to me, except maybe some motherboard power failure around the RAM part? Do you think that if I got a single 8GB ram stick it could solve the problem?

Looking forward to any input! Thank you :)