Question Laptop crashing

Jun 30, 2019
I have an Asus A53S which is about 6-7 years old.

I have been having a number of problems, which would be related to one another:-
  • first the charger/adapter stopped working and I bought a replacement (one of those cheap ones)
  • then the Asus "ac/battery" indicator would keep on flashing/toggling on my screen. I didn't think too much of it as my computer kept on working like normal except for the annoying indicator flashing
  • some time later I noticed that my laptop would crash occasionally for no apparent reason. I noticed that it was overheating a fair bit so I just made sure the underneath was well ventilated etc.
  • recently I noticed that my battery would drain to like 70% (when my laptop was plugged in) and my laptop would just crash suddenly. Other times the battery could still be charged to 98% or so and the laptop worked fine.
  • now my battery is at 0% and I get the "replace battery" indicator on my laptop.

The battery light on my laptop is either orange all the time or blinking orange when laptop is connected to the charger. To see if it was just a bad battery problem, I removed the battery and tried to start the laptop and I am able to open windows but the laptop will crash after about 10-15 minutes. When I try restarting right after it crashes, it usually will just crash immediately again. So it certainly looks like there's a bigger problem here than just a battery problem. I have read that it could be a motherboard problem or a DC jack problem.

I sent it to the service and repair shop. They recommended a general servicing and to change the fan (they said it wasn't working). They also did a "reballing" - I have no idea what that is. Anyway, after all that, my laptop is still crashing so it just seems like I wasted my money.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hmm it seems rather odd that they would reball anything. But I can't say they did or didn't. Just seems odd. Especially since your problem (unless it was overheating) was not related to your GPU.

Here is info on what reballing means and some of why I say odd. https://madpsy.uk/the-nonsense-that-is-reballing-dead-gpus/

Now your power and battery problem could easily be because you bought a cheap aftermarket charger. Many of those things say they work just fine, but they really don't. I would suggest you start by replacing that with an actual OEM charger. Yes, I know they cost more, but it is worth it. Should that not resolve it, then I would get a new battery. Again, an OEM one.

Jun 30, 2019
Hmm it seems rather odd that they would reball anything. But I can't say they did or didn't. Just seems odd. Especially since your problem (unless it was overheating) was not related to your GPU.

Here is info on what reballing means and some of why I say odd. https://madpsy.uk/the-nonsense-that-is-reballing-dead-gpus/

Now your power and battery problem could easily be because you bought a cheap aftermarket charger. Many of those things say they work just fine, but they really don't. I would suggest you start by replacing that with an actual OEM charger. Yes, I know they cost more, but it is worth it. Should that not resolve it, then I would get a new battery. Again, an OEM one.
Well my laptop has had overheating problems in the past, but I notice that it was an off and on problem. Right now I notice that my laptop can function normally for about 5-10 minutes. But once I start putting it to work a little (e.g. play a video, or save files to my external drive etc), I hear the drive spinning/working (not sure what's the correct term sorry) a bit more and then predictably the computer will shut off/crash completely. I feel some slight heat but not too much (well I can't imagine 10 minutes of the laptop being on would generate that much heat anyway). But I cannot restart my computer immediately after it crashes (presumably because it needs time to cool off?).

I think I will have to go back to the shop and ask them to test it with a different charger and battery. I don't want to buy a new charger/battery if that is not really the problem.