Laptop Decision

mozzuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Eeeeyy! Hi everyone, my first post!

Posting because I'm stuck about buying a new laptop. Currently using a fujitsu-siemens which is speedy but the graphics card is broken (ram module corruption - major artifacts) which is ok seeing as I got it cheap and it's only an "in between" temporary laptop.

I'm decided that I want a laptop - portability etc. etc. But I've got no idea whether to hold on, buy now, and if I buy now, what to get? I've searched google and countless forums but none have helped me make up my mind so thought I'd ask.

I'm a pretty avid gamer and want to get a laptop that will run Oblivion, Stalker, Bioshock, Crysis(current gen and next gen games basically) and be DX10/SM 4.0 compatible.

Should I go for a laptop with a HD 2600xt or an 8700m GT or neither (just wait for new releases)?

Comparing the spec of the 2600 and the 8700, the 2600 looks(!) like it should perform better but it doesn't? Can we expect it to perform better un DX10? is it's poor comparative performance driver related/dx9 related?

To sum up:

Should I buy a laptop now or should I wait? (Bearing in mind when I say wait I mean really short term seeing as I can't currently play any games and I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms :sarcastic: )

Or

Should I just go ahead and buy a laptop now (seeing as new hardware will always come out and I can buy a new laptop in a year) and if so, which card (2600 or 8700) would perform better overall in the coming year/with driver updates/on older and newer games (DX9/DX10)?

Thanks for any help. (Sorry about post length, figure it's better to be precise from the beginning.)

Adam

mozzuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Should have said, meant the 2600xt. Is it faster/going to be faster than the 8700gt? Like I say, the specs seem to show it as better in nearly everything so are the drivers holding it back or something? Thanks for the link - read that post but still can't feel sure about the 2600xt to 8700gt comparison?

Also, think I definitely want to go for DX10.