Laptop dedicated graphics card not being used in games

wellygr8erevr

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Hi I have a Sony VAIO laptop that originally runs on Windows 7 but now runs on Windows 10.
It has an Intel i5 2450M processor and AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series for the graphics card.
I am aware that the processor has integrated graphics, this being Intel HD 3000. However, whenever I play games, my GPU is never being used (always 0%) instead it pillages on the CPU causing it to get very hot, even on light demanding games.
Is there anything I can do to ensure that my graphics card is being used when playing games? I have updated the graphics drivers to the latest as indicated on the AMD website. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers. Nothing seems to work. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks :)

Solution
The drivers for laptops that you can download from AMD (or Nvidia) aren't guaranteed to work on all laptops. You have to download them from the manufacturer's site. Since "Sony Vaio" doesn't exist anymore, it isn't likely that you'll find Windows 10 drivers for your laptop.

The only guaranteed way to make the graphics card work again is to restore Windows 7.

wellygr8erevr

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

I've done this, and it seems to not have changed anything. From both the balanced setting set to max performance and also creating a new power setting set to high performance only and adjusting everything to max performance. No difference, GPU still on 0% while CPU is being absolutely pillaged.

Dosflores

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014
The drivers for laptops that you can download from AMD (or Nvidia) aren't guaranteed to work on all laptops. You have to download them from the manufacturer's site. Since "Sony Vaio" doesn't exist anymore, it isn't likely that you'll find Windows 10 drivers for your laptop.

The only guaranteed way to make the graphics card work again is to restore Windows 7.

Solution