Laptop (dell XPS 9570) only boots after a break.

JinHyung

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
After a clean install from USB my laptop only boots after i didn't touch it for like 10 minutes.

It also does not restart. Just a black screen with no backlit and no fan noise. Then i wait (AC power in or out makes no difference) for about 10 minutes and it works like nothing happened. Problem is also there when battery is completely unplugged.

I did the following:
- Tried several BIOS versions. 1.5/1.6/1.7 currently running 1.6.
- Reset BIOS to factory and default.
- Unplugging Battery/SSD/Memory/Wifi card. (cant reach CMOS battery without literally removing all parts! gg Dell lol)
- I did a few diagnostics and memory tests, hardware troubleshoot etc.. But they all say nothing is wrong.
- Its also not a windows fault because it behaves the same when there is no windows installed even with the SSD completely empty.
- Actually after a clean install it works normally. But once you install any random windows update it has again the boot problem. I tried a few different ones went back to old version repeat etc...

But whatever i do nothing seems to work. When it starts thought it works perfect there are no problems at all. I had some coil whine only noticeable in a quiet room that seems to be completely gone now. Even when you put your ear on the laptop you barely hear it.

Anyone got any idea because i'm out and i prefer not sending it back to Dell. Because for the rest its a very good laptop. For now i just continue using it. Maybe it solves it self one day after a new Bios update or SSD/EC firmware. Who knows.

JinHyung

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

The shift + shutdown does not make a difference. Shutting down took pretty long close to 15 seconds. Today it restarted actually when installing display drivers because backlit of the screen stayed on. The moment it goes to black it does not restart normally.

The CPU temps are normal sort off. Low 40s when idle. But the stress test result was bit strange. Very spiky not sure if that is normal. With very high peaks. Also the fans where no where near full speed during the stress test. When exporting a 4k movie the fans are much louder and temp is much more stable.

I undervolted again and the temps are bit lower mid to high 30s when idle and around 80C full load. There are still some spikes though. 1 second 91c and 1 second later 79c 1 second after 90c etc..

1Ykci_1KkpGNwttYL1caLsc4N6eYroKKY

robert600

Distinguished
I'm not an expert on stress testing so I'm not sure if spikes are normal or not .

The temps look ok though - for most laptops I work on ... high speed fans kick in at around 80c ... yours should be around there but don't know for sure. It certainly isn't running too hot.

So ... I don't know what to say about the restart issue ... seems to be a graphics card/screen issue. I mean, on the one hand you can kinda live with it but ... on the other hand you wouldn't want it to get any worse (particularly after the warranty runs out). I think if it were me and I paid Dell the big bucks for a machine like that I'd want it to work perfect ... I'd take advantage of the warranty and get them to send me another one (I know, what a pain).

JinHyung

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
At Dell they have no idea never had such a problem before. I had no response yet what is next. I actually noticed another problem. I cant flash the BIOS anymore. I tried 3 different ways. Through the Dell update utility manually in windows and manually in the boot menu. But all the time the same happens. It restarts and then a black screen and fans at full speed like it its flashing. When you turn it off and later turn it on again according to the dell update utility the flash was successful till you let it search for updates again and it says new bios is available. Very strange first time it happened i thought it really died and crashed during the flashing. This thing is a mystery lol I'm building my own computers and fixing them for over 20 years and never had such strange things. They should buy this thing from me and put it in a museum.

Jan 27, 2019

I just experienced the same. XPS 9570 i9/M2 1TB
- battery fully charged, connected to mains
- I closed the lid
- detached the mains from the power unit (power unit still attached to laptop)
- took the laptop to another room
- after a while (laptop should be in sleep mode) attached another mains to the power unit
- opened the lid - nothing
- pressed power button - nothing
- pressed repeatedly - nothing
- panic started to creep in
- and then it started

Already tried to repeat the sequence to no avail.

JinHyung

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I do not have a solution. Dell also does not know what is the problem. I actually cant flash my BIOS anymore. It does not restart when you start the flash itself. The dell warranty support took over the ticket from technical support today and now i wait for an onsite repair. It actually works fine when it starts (typing on it now).

But i didn't pay over 2000€ for a machine that does not work how it should, maybe after 3 years i didn't care so much but i have 3 years onsite support.

Jan 30, 2019
A similar thing just happened to me. I was having dinner and I left the laptop on. When I came back, the laptop was turned off and refused to turn on (nothing happened when I pressed the power button). Recently I did a clean Windows 10 install, but this problem happened just today, only once. Mine resuscitated after I pressed Fn + Power.

JinHyung

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I got a motherboard replacement. Everything works fine now :). Even better than in the beginning. Now i'm 100% sure it was already faulty from the start. He comes back Tuesday to also replace my screen. The gorilla glass is a bit loose and makes a ticking sound when using the touch screen. Good support. Maybe better if they had given me a new laptop though lol, but not complaining.

edit: its early morning cant type yet.