Laptop died - suggestions for replacement?

juu

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
My gf's laptop just died, I think it is mobo/CPU (won't turn on but PSU fans working) so uneconomical to repair. It was my old Thinkpad T61p.

Her usage is light - watching movies (mostly on an external 1600x1200 resolution monitor), browsing the Internet, some card games or HOMM3.

I would prefer Windows 7, not sure if it means most netbooks are out.

1. What is your budget?

Whatever provides best value, I'm not sure how much these things should cost these days. I was looking at Thinkpad L and T series, but they seem overkill for what the usage is.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15'' or above, as that's what she had before.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Not that important. But important to be able to output DVI for an external monitor.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

More of a desktop replacement, but usage is light.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not important at all.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, Medium or High)?

Solitaire/other puzzle games, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (and 6 when they come out), Civilization 3 & 4.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Watching movies (inc. HD).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

None, but I'd like to plug in my existing WD 2.5'' 500 GB hard drive from the old laptop. Or something with 1 GB+ (as then I can e-bay the 500 GB one).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

None.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Until it dies.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None really; perhaps a DVD reader might be useful for installations though.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

We prefer Lenovo as we have a lot of familiarity with the brand, especially Thinkpads (I've had about seven of them, and still have one as my business laptop - I love the Trackpoint but she doesn't use it at all, she uses an external mouse).

We will not buy Apple as I've had enough of them.

I'd prefer something with i3 or i5, as she wants something at least as fast as her old Core 2 Duo.

13. What country do you live in?

United Kingdom.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Compatibility with Lenovo Mini-dock would be considered a plus but probably is not realistic.

We have small children so some level of toughness would be preferred.

Hello juu;

I'm sure your know that there are no Thinkpads above 15" in size.
Lenovo ThinkPad L520 15" laptop £530
Core i3-2310M Sandy Bridge CPU, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ Intel HD 3000 graphics. Win7 Pro.
Mini-dock compatible and the typical Thinkpad durability. But also more power and cost than you need for the range of activities you listed.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi there. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I too am looking at a few Lenovo laptops. I found a G570 (i3 2310m) retailing for just over $450. My question is: Can I depend a Lenovo laptop? Are they reliable? Will it give me peace of mind?

I'm quite skeptical. Since IBM sold off their laptops to the chinese Lenovo a few years ago, I just don't know if the quality of their laptops has deteriorated in any way...

Nearly all laptops are made over in that part of the world these days, from individual parts right up to the whole laptop itself.
Generally, any $600 laptop is going to be within a few percentage points of any other $600 laptop in terms of dependability and longevity.