crazyduke7

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
The problem is the laptop display goes white on bootup. Only on pressing the laptop screen hard on the right hand side for a few moments restores the display. Any change to display position causes it again.

It's a Lenovo Z560, and recently i took it company service center who said the problem is not with display or display cable, but with motherboard. I was surprised at the diagnosis, but since i do not have another screen I have no option.

But my question is how is it possible that it's a mobo issue if all i am doing to get the display back ( from full grey and white ) is press hard on the laptop screen.

The first pic is what happens unless you press it at the right side, and the second pic is when i have connected it to an external monitor. You can see the fading already on the laptop screen. The external display works just fine. So is it really a MOBO issue or a screen problem? LED Cable seems fine.

20150120_130645_zps027fbc7e.jpg

20150120_130917_zps2e31cf8e.jpg

Solution
the display is being provided by onboard graphics processor primarily so motherboard replacement is an option to consider here ,as the graphics processor is embedded on the mobo.
when you share the display onto another screen, the ports may be controlled by a dedicated graphics processor.However in your case. i suspect the lvds cable too.Also if there is a inbuild hardware test, try to run it, if it performs LCD BIST then we can determine if lcd also is a point of failure.

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Replace lcd screen, you can find one on ebay. you can search by your model number or better yet, take the bad one out and get the exact model number from the old screen then you know it will fit your computer. Its not that hard to do

tarunkumar2

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
the display is being provided by onboard graphics processor primarily so motherboard replacement is an option to consider here ,as the graphics processor is embedded on the mobo.
when you share the display onto another screen, the ports may be controlled by a dedicated graphics processor.However in your case. i suspect the lvds cable too.Also if there is a inbuild hardware test, try to run it, if it performs LCD BIST then we can determine if lcd also is a point of failure.

Solution