Laptop Displays Error Loading OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobowyc

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014
Hi guys.

A quick story on my dad's old laptop, the Compaq Presario CQ40. I am not sure of its specific model number. I have an old 160GB 2.5" Hard Disk from a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop. My CQ40 does not have a hard disk drive as my sister is using it as an external. It is, therefore, formatted. I installed the 160GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5" HDD into the slot and turned it on. It loads well into BIOS and after that, I inserted a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64bit into the DVD Drive. I restarted the laptop and set it to boot from Internal DVD ROM Drive. I then saved it and exited BIOS. After I have done that, the laptop loads normally and then it appears; Error Loading OS. So, I cannot even install windows as, I think, the system is not detecting my CD. Is it possible that my CD is spoilt? But when I ran it on my desktop it worked fine. Is there any specific thing about the hard disk? Must it be formatted or just be set to unallocated in my "Create and Format Partition Disks"? Is there any solution to this?

Second part.

I have done a mistake my installing Windows 7 into my 2.5" HDD from my desktop, which made my desktop have two bootable Windows, one is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, which is my primary and my second is Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. Is there anyway to remove the boot info at startup? Everytime I startup now it will display two Windows 7. And I am not sure which to delete from MSCONFIG. How would I know which is my primary HDD?

bobowyc

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014
Nevermind guys. I have fitted the old HDD to the Dell and installed Windows 7 Home Premium on it. And about the secondary windows, I have plugged in the HDD as an external and formatted it, somehow when I switched on my PC today it boots to my current OS. Lol. Anywayyyy. Solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.