Laptop displays strange patterns even after a clean-format

kenshi64

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hello,

Laptop ModelI own a Sony Vaio SVE15127CN. This is a model that I purchased in India, and it seems to be a model uniquely sold there as well. Here is a link to the model on the Sony India website.

BackgroundI'm not sure if I had any Blue screens of death. However the monitor began displaying such patterns, making it impossible for me to use the machine. Eventually these patterns would lead to a restart or shutdown if I recall correctly .Unfortunately this was 2 or 3 months ago as I've been busy, but that is what I can recollect.

Do note: at the time of writing this, I tested the laptop and the display works without a problem- the glitch occurs randomly.

Potential CauseThe laptop is 3 years old and produces quite some heat. The hinge between the screen and the body had cracked on the monitor's side and the base of the laptop. It was fixed 6 months ago by fabricating new parts.

Images
Pattern 1
McwVyqq.jpg

Pattern 1 close-up
X72Vin9.jpg

Pattern 2
iWyGWpB.jpg

Conclusion:
I would greatly appreciate if the community could tell me what this is, as I wish to sell this laptop and I don't want the buyer to be unpleasantly surprised.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Are graphical artifacts present, when you boot into BIOS?
If yes, then either screen, gpu or connection between screen and computer is damaged. If glitch occurs randomly, then most likely it's connection problem between screen and computer.
If no, then it's possibly just corrupted graphics drivers.

kenshi64

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

There are no artifacts during bios.
However I don't understand what I could have done wrong as I downloaded and install both the graphic drivers that are available for this device. (is it normal that one device has 2 graphic drivers??)
The glitch quite random, and IIRC there was a shutdown...but I cannot confirm that.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Your laptop has Intel integrated graphics (built into CPU) and discrete graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 7650M.
So yes - it's normal, that 2 graphics drivers will be needed.

I'd try disabling Radeon graphics driver in Device Manager and see if glitches are still present.

kenshi64

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

I've tried to erase the Windows OS today and Install Linux.

However when booting from USB, I still got this glitch and the problem with the glitch is that it seems to freeze functionalities. I could move the mouse, but the program was not responding.

Does this still mean a corrupt driver?

Attached are pictures:

xeXHoyq.jpg

zd3DWcy.jpg

kenshi64

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

It's hard to say when the glitches will appear, but the next time it does, I will do so and post back.

I intend to sell this machine, however I will declare the glitches and the physical changes.

It's an intel i5-3210M, 4gb RAM, 500GB HDD, 1gb Radeon, 15.5 inch display- would 200 eur be a fair price? I I would normally sell it for 400 but given the money needed to repair it I would say around 200 is fair. Your opinion?

sujitintel

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
Do a graphics reflow and its done.
If you are not aware of Reflow process, search on youtube.
I had same problem, I got it fixed for 900 after bargaining, but that lasted only 15 days.
Then I bought a heat gun from amazon, and fixed mine with proper flux. Now its been almost 2 months,, its awesome and temperature decreased too !
Give it a try, you will not regret :)