Laptop does not start, but shows the power led for one second and then dies

infoclogged

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
The power led lights up when i press the power button, but dies afterwards. When I disassemble the laptop, then the laptop boots up. Only after the complete assembly, it wont start - just lights the power led for a second and does nothing. No beep sound, no caps lock light, nothing.

I am using just the plus and minus ( no earth cable ), because I am using a variable power supply. Even after grounding the laptop with an external cable, the problem persists.

Can anyone tell me what steps I should do to check this?

What is the signifgance of earth wires with respect to a notebook, because they are mobile devices and hence when running on battery, has anyways no way to earth itself?

Solution
The problem was a loosened aluminium foil from the top of one of the screws. On tightening the screws, the aluminium foil was acting as a conductor between the motherboard and the lower case and hence leading to a short circuit. After placing the foil back on the screw properly, the computer boots up properly.

Guess, the internal power supply recognises a short circuit and hence blocks the input current. This is why, there was a short power on led for half a second and then dies.

infoclogged

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
The problem was a loosened aluminium foil from the top of one of the screws. On tightening the screws, the aluminium foil was acting as a conductor between the motherboard and the lower case and hence leading to a short circuit. After placing the foil back on the screw properly, the computer boots up properly.

Guess, the internal power supply recognises a short circuit and hence blocks the input current. This is why, there was a short power on led for half a second and then dies.

Solution