Laptop Doesn't recognize HDMI audio

Eilon_

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
Hey, So I have an ASUS Laptop, connected to a samsung monitor. I recently updated my windows 10. Ever since then then the monitor's speakers, even though connected to the laptop via HDMI aren't working, and the sound panel says it isn't even plugged in. Any ideas? Desperate.
Thanks, here's a pic of sound panel.
http://imgur.com/a/5NP8v

Solution
I'm seeing a lot of problems on my clients' computers caused by Windows 10 preferring generic Microsoft Win 10 drivers over manufacturer-provided hardware-specific drivers designed for Windows 7 or 8. Win 10 silently replaces those drivers during the upgrade or during an update, then pretends that everything is OK and all your drivers are up to date, when there are better manufacturer-provided drivers available.

I'd check to see if Asus has updated video and audio drivers for your laptop for Windows 10. If they do, install those. You want to update the video drivers because although the problem is with audio, HDMI audio is passed through the video card (HDMI out), so the audio device is actually provided by the video drivers.

Edit...
I'm seeing a lot of problems on my clients' computers caused by Windows 10 preferring generic Microsoft Win 10 drivers over manufacturer-provided hardware-specific drivers designed for Windows 7 or 8. Win 10 silently replaces those drivers during the upgrade or during an update, then pretends that everything is OK and all your drivers are up to date, when there are better manufacturer-provided drivers available.

I'd check to see if Asus has updated video and audio drivers for your laptop for Windows 10. If they do, install those. You want to update the video drivers because although the problem is with audio, HDMI audio is passed through the video card (HDMI out), so the audio device is actually provided by the video drivers.

Edit: If they don't have Win 10 drivers yet, try installing the Win 8 or Win 7 drivers. A lot of times they still work. You'll need to select an option in Win 10 to prevent it from updating that device driver, otherwise it'll just replace it with the non-working generic Microsoft drivers again the next time it auto-updates. This used to be relatively straightforward, but they either moved or removed the option in the October Win 10 update, and I haven't been able to find it again.

Solution
1. I had no issues after upgrading to W10 on an older laptop.

2. Try plugging into an HDTV instead.

3. *To be clear, you had W10 before and just updated it recently?

4. Does this laptop have another GPU from AMD or NVidia, or is it just a basic Intel CPU + Intel iGPU laptop?

5. Unplug HDMI and plug in with system already running

6. Is there any AUDIO setting in the monitor that changes anything?
(I doubt it)

SO...
I'm still thinking, but in the meantime you can probably find some cheap speakers that are better than the laptops (or the monitors for that matter).

Even if you fix the problem, I suggest using different speakers unless you just don't care that much. If the monitor supports passthrough you can connect stereo speakers to the rear of the monitor.

Other:
Since it appears to be the Intel audio solution, and most likely a SOFTWARE issue I would also:

1. check DEVICE MANAGER to see if any issues appear (right-click Start-> Device Manager)

2. in Device Manager, try to update the drivers if you find HDMI audio listed

3. if no luck, run CPU Diagnostic (which may not check for anything audio related but worth checking anyway)
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

4. You can run the Intel Software tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

5. If nothing detected, you can do something similar to STEP#2. Basically, use "Programs and Features" to remove any Intel software that may be applicable and/or try rolling back or doing driver update checks through Device Manager.

*READ*
Before doing any of these software changes, I suggest creating a RESTORE POINT.
I would also make a backup IMAGE using Acronis True Image or similar once you've got this sorted out.

*ROLLBACK??*
If really stumped, if this was a Windows 10 update there should be the option to RESTORE to the earlier backup. There should be a backup IMAGE stored to do this unless you intentionally removed it using the cleanup tool (i.e. the "OLD" file).

If you can restore the backup, then make sure you have everything you need. I don't think it changes files but it should restore all programs to the way they were. If in doubt you can backup the entire thing to an external USB drive if you have one (if not, I suggest getting one).

OTHER:
I bought myself and my bro-in-law a WDMYCLOUD. It attaches to the ROUTER via an Ethernet cable, so it's available as a read/write device to all computers or media players. I have some shared files, as well as video content that I play on my PC and two media players around the house.