Solved! Laptop doesnt seem to be using dedicated GPU

Dec 22, 2020
A while back I noticed my laptop slowing down considerably in games and in regular use. Today I decided to hop on a game with a few friends and saw in task manager that my dedicated gpu was not being used at all, meanwhile, my integrated one was at full use.

My Specs are:
intel i7-8750H
Gtx 1050 ti Max-q
16 gb ram

The issue is that I have already set the preferred GPU in NVidia control panel. This doesn't seem to change anything. Whats more weird is that when I went into Device manager and disabled my integrated GPU and started up a game it would only run at 1 fps.

Weirdly, at some point I downloaded MSI afterburner to see my GPU usage more accurately and it seemed to have fixed the issue. That is until I restarted the game and it was once again underperforming.

The game in question is GTA V and I know the 1050Ti isn't all to powerful but I definitely remember it getting more than 30fps at 900p on all lowest settings.

Any tips on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated!

Solution
A while back I noticed my laptop slowing down considerably in games and in regular use. Today I decided to hop on a game with a few friends and saw in task manager that my dedicated gpu was not being used at all, meanwhile, my integrated one was at full use.

My Specs are:
intel i7-8750H
Gtx 1050 ti Max-q
16 gb ram

The issue is that I have already set the preferred GPU in NVidia control panel. This doesn't seem to change anything. Whats more weird is that when I went into Device manager and disabled my integrated GPU and started up a game it would only run at 1 fps.

Weirdly, at some point I downloaded MSI afterburner to see my GPU usage more accurately and it seemed to have fixed the issue. That is until I restarted the game and...

Deciplox

Great
Dec 8, 2020

My Specs are:
intel i7-8750H
Gtx 1050 ti Max-q
16 gb ram

Weirdly, at some point I downloaded MSI afterburner to see my GPU usage more accurately and it seemed to have fixed the issue. That is until I restarted the game and it was once again underperforming.

The game in question is GTA V and I know the 1050Ti isn't all to powerful but I definitely remember it getting more than 30fps at 900p on all lowest settings.

Any tips on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated!

Hi,

Make sure your GPU driver is up to date.

Sometimes your laptop will auto change to the iGPU (intel HD) instead of the dedicated one, you can change this back via your driver settings.

Thanks

Solution