Laptop dropped, Auto restart and Freezing while playing games.

Kappa Kappa

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Hi, I dropped my laptop recently from a table while turned on, I kinda freaked out a little bit. I checked the laptop, It restarted automatically, then I looked for damages (screen, keyboard, etc.). Then I took a break for an hour, then I played games like Dota 2 and then it Restarted automatically, So I waited for it to open again. Played Dota 2 and then the laptop freezes/black screen after a minute then makes weird sounds. What are the causes? and What should I do? Please Help :(

Specs:
Toshiba Satellite L830
6 GB RAM DDR3
Intel Core i5-3317U @1.70Ghz
64-Bit Operating System
AMD Radeon HD 7550M 1GB 1366X768

Solution
All laptops and pre-built desktops usually have a Windows utility which allows you to create your own set of recovery discs to restore the operating system on to a new hard drive. Obviously it's too late for you to create them now if the hard drive has failed, but you won't know if the hard drive is the problem until you test it as I described in my previous post.

If the hard drive does prove to be faulty you will have to buy a new one. Then hopefully you can order a set of recovery discs which will restore the operating system & drivers on to the new drive. Toshiba does supply recovery discs depending on the age of the particular model -- I know because I bought a set from them 2 years ago for a 2010 Satellite model which I bought...
The most fragile internal component is the hard drive - - dropping it on to a solid surface or floor from a height greater than 12 inches or so is likely to cause permanent damage to it. I suspect that's what has happened, especially if you can hear "weird noises".

Mind you, my grandson dropped his lappy on to his bedroom floor from the top bunk bed a while back, yet although the drop was hard enough to cause cosmetic damage and broke the lid catch, It booted back up in to Windows with no errors at all, plus everything worked okay. I was amazed.

I guess it depends on the quality and resilience of the hard drive. He got lucky.

Back up your data to another drive first, then test the hard drive with a bootable CD which contains diagnostic software.
Download the SeaTools for DOS CD image from here: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Then use IMGBurn on any working PC to create the CD from the CD image: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

When you've made the CD, boot your laptop from it and SeaTools will load after a couple of minutes (depends on the CD read speed of the optical drive).

Use the Long/extended test as it's more thorough than the short test.

Good Luck :)

Kappa Kappa

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014

Hi Phillip, Thanks for answering.
My Windows came Pre-Installed and I don't have any Bootable CDs.
Will buying a new Hard Drive will solve this issue?
Freezing and Restarting occurs when I'm playing Games.
I lost hope 'cause I don't have Bootable CDs and my Windows is Pre-installed

All laptops and pre-built desktops usually have a Windows utility which allows you to create your own set of recovery discs to restore the operating system on to a new hard drive. Obviously it's too late for you to create them now if the hard drive has failed, but you won't know if the hard drive is the problem until you test it as I described in my previous post.

If the hard drive does prove to be faulty you will have to buy a new one. Then hopefully you can order a set of recovery discs which will restore the operating system & drivers on to the new drive. Toshiba does supply recovery discs depending on the age of the particular model -- I know because I bought a set from them 2 years ago for a 2010 Satellite model which I bought second-hand with the wrong OS installed.

For European customers, the ordering page for what they call "Backup Media" (same as recovery discs) is here:
https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/

For USA: https://support.toshiba.com/repair (scroll down to "Get Recovery Media").

A set of discs from them will cost you around £20 UK money - - I paid £15 but that was two years ago.

But I do stress that you test the hard drive first to avoid wasting money on a new one when it might be some other problem.

Solution