Nicolas225

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014
So, I purchased the Lenovo Y410P laptop almost a year ago. It is a magnificent computer with a pretty powerful graphics card (Nvidia GT 755M) being that it can run Battlefield 4 on high settings with a decent frame rate of over 30. However, this system is in no condition to be able to play newer games like Far Cry 4 or Assassin's Creed: Unity.

Thankfully, my laptop comes with this feature called Ultrabay, which means that you can replace the optical drive with a solid state drive, battery, graphics card, etc. However, Lenovo, after over a long period of time, have not released the removable graphics card so my computer can use SLI. When asked about it, the support teams consistently give disagreeing answers, some saying it is discontinued, others saying that it will be ready next week. Even with the second Nvidia GT 755M, I am unsure of whether it will be able to keep up with the modern games.

Some may naturally say to "just build a desktop noob", I can not do this as I have a limited desktop space and cannot fit a full sized tower. I would also not want to rush into buying a limited system due to its size for a high price. Lately, I have been reading up on external graphics cards and while you may not get the full quality, it will still be a major increase in performance as desktop graphics cards are still way more powerful. So, is buying a graphics card a viable option for me to increase my laptop's performance without spending so much money?

My Laptop Specifications
Lenovo Y410P
-i7-4700 MQ Quad Core 2.4 Ghz Processor
-Nvidia GT 755M with 2 Gb of DDR5 Graphics Card
-1 Terabyte 7200 RPM Hard Drive
-8 Gb RAM
What I Plan on Using
-PCI Adapter from Banggod or possibly from ViDoc
http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html
http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock
-Nvidia GTX 660 or Stronger Desktop Graphics Card

What else would I need?

Nicolas225

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014

I think I could make do with the space of that, anyway, do you think it is a good idea to use what I said above? Will my laptop be a significant bottleneck for performance? Is it too much trouble? In terms of budget, I am thinking about maybe 450 dollars as a maximum in all, including graphics card and equipment. Maybe a bit more if I need to buy more cables.

Jack0109

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014

im scared to order from banggood some of their reviews are dreadful

TRENDING THREADS