Solved! Laptop fan continuously running

GISdude

Honorable
Mar 1, 2014
I have a HP Pavilion x360 laptop and have tried several things to stop the fan from running. I've updated the BIOS and cleaned the fan. Still no go. I notice that in the process list that CHROME has MANY processes going on. I tried to use Firefox or Brave but the fan still runs. Any ideas on this? I suspect it's chrome, but...

Solution
Few thoughts for you. Lot's of processes in Chrome is normal. Have a look at the CPU in task manager - is it high even when the system is idling? If it is, what is using the CPU? Is the machine hot? If you're not sure, try running something like Speccy to see what sort of temps you're getting.
Good luck

MikeNettleton

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Few thoughts for you. Lot's of processes in Chrome is normal. Have a look at the CPU in task manager - is it high even when the system is idling? If it is, what is using the CPU? Is the machine hot? If you're not sure, try running something like Speccy to see what sort of temps you're getting.
Good luck

Solution
I agree with the prior post regarding finding out if something is really keeping the processor busy. I had a similar problem and solved it by doing a clean reinstall of Windows. That is rather drastic as you lose all you data and programs, but if you haven't done a clean install in a few years, it will improve the performance of your machine noticeably. Not for the faint of heart and expect to spend several hours restoring data backups and reinstalling programs. Running BelArc advisor or something similar is a good way to get a list of most of your installed software.