Laptop fan speed does not increase

TuanAnhPham

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
I'm using a HP 8470p and recently it's having problem with CPU fan.First, the fan SOMETIME does not spin faster when the laptop heat up and now it's happening more recently. I double check the fan wire and connector so the problem only by the fan or the mobo's fan controller itselft. How can I check if it is the fan or the mobo? I tried to spin fan blade by hand and it still smooth. I'm thinking to cut 4th pin of the fan to make it always full speed (noise is not a problem to me :D). It's so inconvenience to buy a new fan where I live.

Solution
If it's running at full speed throughout the duration of your computing experience(assuming 24/7) then the fan will simply fail after a period of time, like, maybe a few months or a year from now but that is hypothetical. With the addition in mechanically moving air at a faster pace, you're also moving in dust/debris at a faster pace.

If you're concerned about the other components, outside of showing a failure in the fan during bootup, there won't be any issues.

Lutfij

Splendid
How old has your laptop been in service/operation? It seems like your heatsink has clogged up with dust/debris thus either allowing less heat dissipation or the debris is hindering the fans movement. You may find it to run smooth but it's possible some hair follicles are impeding it's movement under normal conditions.

You may want to reconsider modifying the fan, as it is you've stated that you can't buy a replacement cooling fan for your laptop so why bother crippling it? On that note, are you on the latest BIOS for your laptop? Are you on Windows 10?

TuanAnhPham

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017

I am on Windows 10 and lastest bios update. I also cleaned my heatsink 3 months ago. I also running hackintosh and realize that it cannot read fan speed anymore (Windows 10 always cannot read it but Hackintosh does).

TuanAnhPham

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
I can't remember what my laptop behavior before I installed dual OS. However, I unplugged the fourth pin so now it's alway running at >5300rpm. Beside my fan will wear out soon, will this make any damage to my laptop?

Lutfij

Splendid
If it's running at full speed throughout the duration of your computing experience(assuming 24/7) then the fan will simply fail after a period of time, like, maybe a few months or a year from now but that is hypothetical. With the addition in mechanically moving air at a faster pace, you're also moving in dust/debris at a faster pace.

If you're concerned about the other components, outside of showing a failure in the fan during bootup, there won't be any issues.

Solution