Laptop Fans turn on full then shuts down within 2 minutes

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Okay, I thought I would reach out here for a little bit of advice.

My girlfriends laptop has been having a huge issue since she reformatted it.

Whenever you power it on, it starts normally but within 30 seconds the fans start going full blast and then it shuts down within 2 minutes. Just a dead stop. It does this whether you're in the bios screen, in windows, etc. It doesn't matter and does the same thing. It sometimes will beep at you (never the same pattern) and sometimes it doesn't beep at all.

I've tried to troubleshoot the best I can. I even ran core-temp and CPU temps are normal and I even replaced the thermal paste to be sure all was good with the heatsink/fans, etc..

I'm wondering if MAYBE since this was a clean reformat that maybe since the chipset drivers would have been wiped, that it might be an issue here, but not sure. The problem being is having the laptop on long enough to be able to re-install anything.

The whole thing is weird. I would assume an overheating issue as I wouldn't expect the laptop to just shut down with the fans going full blast, but I'm not sure. I can't seem to pinpoint anything directly so far, so any advice on items to check would be helpful.

Thanks!