Laptop fell down from 3 feet. G-sense error rate as 131,074.

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Hello, I had lent my friend my laptop, which he dropped from about three feet.

The laptop is still functioning norally,
But, when I checked speccy it shows:
G-sense error rate as 131,074. (Earlier it was 2).

The full speccy report on the HDD is as follows:
view

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzvPNlWbQIrRTDFzd3lZQjBlZzA/view?usp=sharing)
As this is my sole working laptop, should I be worried?
I am sorry but I did not perform any Surface test or any other test as it might degrade the HDD further.
I have another HDD, but should I replace the current one while there is time?

Also, is there anything else I should be worried about?

My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 3521
The HDD is a Hitachi HTS545050A7E380 (GG2OA950) - 500GB.

Solution
I would say the g sense changed because were talking about a mechanical hdd. It is inconsistent..... which is another reason to be cautious of it. You might get different readings every time. But, to me that is a problem. The readings should stay about the same. Just my opinion..... Using that HDD for something that's unimportant? sure, why not. As long as when it fails you don't have anything important on it.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I'd at least make sure that I had my important stuff backed up! Then, I'd attempt to use a software program that could possibly fix bad sectors, etc. However, depending on how important this data and this laptop are, the best course of action may be to replace the hdd asap. But, if you clone the bad drive, you could end up with some of the same issues after. If I were your friend, i'd offer to pay for the repairs, or get you another laptop. Just saying......

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

I have most of my data backed up. My main fear is scanning the HDD may result in further damage to it.
So, if you could suggest some steps to consider while doing this, I would Highly appreciate it.
Also, could any other of my laptop parts be damaged?
I am yet to do self tests. Doing them now.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I know of no way to scan the HDD safely without running some risk. But, if your stuff is safely backed up, then, you don't have much to lose, except you may end up having to re-install Windows. And, If I were you, I'd opt not to do that on a laptop that has been dropped. The answer is absolutely, YES! There are for sure other things that could have been damaged when it was dropped. Honestly, I;d never fully trust it again, and I'd definitely never put anything of any real importance on it. Laptops are fragile and are often even difficult to just take apart without causing damage to the parts. Best of luck....... you could get lucky and have no more damage. No way to know. Thats why I say I'd never fully trust it again.

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Hello, just one last question:
When I ran check disk on all volumes, after reseating the drive (unscrewing it from its place, inspecting for damage and then putting it back on, not opening the HDD itself), and running Speccy again, The G sense Error rate now shows as 2.
I checked and confirmed the same in Ubuntu.
I have now replaced the drive, but was thinking of this drive as an extra drive to carry some movies or something like that.
Also, why did the G sense Error Rate change after the operations?

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I know off laptops falling from tables suffering complete failure....i think you are very lucky and possibly have a solid build there.

Upate: Since you installed hard drive i see no issue in using the old one has portable storage unit, you monitor it as well. I dont think its failing.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I would say the g sense changed because were talking about a mechanical hdd. It is inconsistent..... which is another reason to be cautious of it. You might get different readings every time. But, to me that is a problem. The readings should stay about the same. Just my opinion..... Using that HDD for something that's unimportant? sure, why not. As long as when it fails you don't have anything important on it.

Solution

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Thank you so much for your Help.
I managed to convince my friend to pay for the HDD.
I have just one last doubt:
I had carried out both short DST and long DST both from Ubuntu and Seagate Seatools.
Did that result in the changed values?
Also, when the values were so high, why was the HDD showing the Smart status as good? Like it was showing it as good in both Ubuntu and Speccy.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I suppose that is possible.... But what i'd be looking for is that it give the same results twice in a row. it shouldn't be changing on it's own and should remain consistent. If you consistently get different numbers, I'd replace the drive.