Laptop "flickering" charging

CipherZero

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
The laptop I am using is a Asus GL551JW-WH71. Everything was working fine until this morning, I was playing a game on battery as I wasn't near an outlet. I then went to go plugin when I was low and the screen flickered due to my separate brightness settings.

Thought it was odd, then noticed that the battery icon was "flickering" charging/not charging. The strangest part is this: it begins charging fine normally when it is under zero load (idling) but as soon as I scroll a webpage or launch a game, it flickers. This laptop is less than 3 months old and hasn't been roughhoused or dropped in any way. I tried running without battery and it works fine, but I really don't think it could be the battery? Its barely 3 months old!

Heres what I've already tried:

- Update/uninstall battery driver under device manager

- Unplug battery/replug

- Computer runs fine on just AC cable, with no battery

- Change power settings

- Checked all connection ports to make sure they are clean, also the pins on this cable are insulated so they cannot be bent, so there is no pin damage.

I'm at a loss for what to do next, I really doubt it could be the battery, as it was just working fine less than 24 hours ago.

UPDATE: The charger itself is no longer sufficient for keeping the computer on under load, when running a game the computer simply shuts down. (Unplugged battery due to previous issue)

Hi,

Please do try some of these troubleshooting steps that may help. Does this happen as well when you connect your laptop onto an external display?
- Try to do a clean install of the graphics card driver first.
- Please follow the guide in this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
- Once done do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work that definitely if the battery that has the problem, do contact Asus for a replacement battery.