Laptop for ~$1000

xb2003

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I will start off with the list.

1. What is your budget?
$1000, no more than $1200 after tax.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13 inch screen preferable

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 1080. No touch screen.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. I have a custom desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
More than 4 hours doing Web browsing. (not necessarily video streaming.) More is nice.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Minecraft and the Sims. This isn't really a factor. I have a PC that will do this. But being able to play tekkit to kill time here and there is nice.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Music Notation, small audio recording projects, different audio stuff

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
SSD. Preferable 256 gb.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I can usually get a few bucks off from Dell.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? It needs to last. Even if it isn't my main computer it will be used for years to come.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Not an issue. But a webcam is necessary

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I tend to not like HP and lenovo keyboards as well as dell. I have never used an Asus laptop but I'm open minded.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I love the idea of the new XPS 13. The idea of a laptop the size of an 11" Macbook air with a 13" 1080 screen is very appealing. I'm looking at the $999 option with the SSD upgraded to 256gb. This brings the total to $1099, minus a little because I'm a student. I haven't really found a computer that compares when you consider the size, but maybe I am missing one.

I already frequently use an HP 17" elitebook workstation and it is too big. I know that even though you can get an i7 with 12gb of ram and an 860 for the same money, that's not I want. I want something easily portable. A nice snappy computer laptop to respond to emails, type papers,and work on my music compositions on the go.

Thanks!

Jesse