Laptop for a student

chemicalmy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year college student, taking petroleum engineering (I thought this information might help you) and I want your opinion regarding this subject, choosing my next laptop. Please help me with your extensive knowledge at laptops.

The things that I'm going to use this future laptop is for typing, that's why you'll see that most of the choices are Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.
The priorities that are:
1. Typing and writing - I write for our school university and some of my works are being serialized at the local library. So ya, It's important.
2. Programming, I program lots of codes.
3. Schoolworks and research work. We'll be doing our thesis in a couple of months so it must also be tough and a beauty to work on.
4. Some Indesign and Photosop works. I don't play any games so a dedicated isn't needed at all, and I have a full fledged desktop at my dorm. But this doesnt mean that I need a chromebook guys, I want a good laptop for this lifestyle.

The place where I currently reside doesn't have any new technologies, the newest processor here is the Haswell, if that means something. So, every gadget here is expensive af. Now, I narrowed down three (3) laptops that I can buy and they are quite cheap for the price, because I know the owner and I can get numerous discounts and knowing that it's an outdated hardware it's cheap. All of which I can buy from our local techno store.

1. Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch
- 14 inch (1600x900) Touchscreen IPS
- i7 3667U
- 8 GB Ram
- 256 GB SSD
- Windows 8 Pro
Price: About 600$
- This is a great laptop for it's price. but, the hardware is outdated. and this is the only laptop that I can buy in this price. Wondering why it's cheap? There's a bent corner of the laptop at the left side parallel to the thinkpad logo. The laptop is quite bruised but. the innards are great.

2. Lenovo Thinkpad T440
- 14 inch matte display (1366 x 768)
- i5 4200u
- 4gb ram
- 500gb Hard drive
- Windows 7
Price: 600$

3. Dell Latitude E7440
- 14 inch HD LED Display
- i5 4200U
- 4 GB ram
- 500 GB hard drive
- Windows 7
Price: 550$

The reason why these laptops are quite cheap because they are refurbished from America and is sent here, and some of them are used. I hope you guys can help. Thanks a lot, for reading and for the future answers. And these 3 are the only one that I can buy here, so don't bother suggesting better laptops because new technological stuffs here are scarce.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
An i7 for you is an overkill, even i5, go for i3 (has almost same specs as i5 notebbook cpu, only 4 core/8 threads are i7 extreme edition), so my advice, go for nice i3 4 gb or ram, add one more ram module to amke 8 gb of ram and buy a ssd and u got yourself a powerfull notebook for less money.

The i7 is better than the i5.

8gb ram is better than 4gb ram.

But 500gb storage is better than 256gb storage.