Laptop for Architectural Rendering & Gaming

firalite

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hey everyone, thanks for helping me out. I am currently residing in Canada and will be going to London, England for a year, during which I will need a powerful laptop for rendering (Rhino3D, Vray, Luxrender, etc) and gaming (Diablo 3).

My understanding is that I should be most concerned about processing power, heat dissipation, and the graphics card. I hope to have an SSD, and may replace the stock HDD and RAM if the price difference is big enough.

I'd like to buy this before August. Are there any particular reasons I should wait? (Back to school sales, newer 3rd gen intel ultrabook processors, etc?)

1. What is your budget?
$1700 - $2000 (please advise if I am not in the right price range)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Preferably 15.6". I need the screen space but want it to fit into my bag.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
The more pixels the better.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Processing power probably dictates this to be a desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Will be used plugged in, but I expect ~2 hrs.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Diablo 3 on max shouldn't be a problem with my other requirements.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I am hoping to replace the stock HDD with an SSD, or to get it with an SSD if the price difference isn't too big.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
n/a

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I expect it to be a decent laptop for 2-3 years, and useable up to 5 years later.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Basic DVD ROM preferred, but may consider swapping it out for an HDD.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am currently considering the Sager NP91X0.
I looked around other companies but generally, the graphics card was less impressive (eg Samsung Series 9, Dell Alienware, Lenovo U, W and Y series, and various ultrabooks) and prices higher. The only thing that I found that might be comparable are the HP Elitebook workstations, but they are not yet released.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada, but the laptop will be used in England as well.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
It must have a lock hole, and I would prefer an SD card reader.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
V

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
well i usually dont really making recommendations with high budgets, and especially for laptops, but if your working with CAD packages and similar programs, an i7 is a must as these are the programs that actually make use of the hyper threading it has which the i5 does not have.