Laptop for college and gaming

mutedwolf

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
Hello community,

I've got a budget around 700-1,000, I might budge a little over that, but it'd have to be worth it. Looking for around 15.6 in screen, general high resolution (just alright, doesn't haven't to be amazing), would prefer a mildly brighter screen with decent battery life (with light usage, in class etc, at least 2-3 hours, preferably higher). Weight isn't much of an issue. I'd prefer something with a DVD ROM rather than without it, HDMI, USB(3.0 preferred but not a deal breaker), SD card reader, Ethernet. Back lighting would be cool, but is not a necessity.

As far as gaming, limitations with hardware in the past have kept me from playing PC games in general. I'd like to be able to play things like the Witcher 3, Minecraft, Dark Souls 2, Elder Scrolls online, as well as various lower end steam games. Prefer settings in medium, they don't need to be high def, play-ability is more important than looks.

I'm a computer engineering major (freshman), so there's a lot of programs I could be using, but I don't know for sure what exactly. I also occasionally edit photos or draw digital art. Ideally, I'd like the laptop to last through at least my senior year, so about 3 1/2 years.

I've looked at the Dell Inspiron and the Acer Aspire series, but I'm not really sure what exactly I should be looking for as far as hardware specs.

Solution
Hi,

If you are willing to pay for a decent gaming laptop, 15 inch screen and you are nor concern on the weight of it, this might be someones to take into account. http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/

- Little cons
First laptop: Kind of heavy
No optical drive
Kind of noisy

Second laptop: Kind of heavy
No optical drive
Kind of noisy
Slow hard drive(5400rpm)

Third laptop: Kind of heavy
HDD 7200 rpm
Kind of noisy

But if you ask my opinion I would go for...

Ryukens

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
Hi,

If you are willing to pay for a decent gaming laptop, 15 inch screen and you are nor concern on the weight of it, this might be someones to take into account. http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/

- Little cons
First laptop: Kind of heavy
No optical drive
Kind of noisy

Second laptop: Kind of heavy
No optical drive
Kind of noisy
Slow hard drive(5400rpm)

Third laptop: Kind of heavy
HDD 7200 rpm
Kind of noisy

But if you ask my opinion I would go for this dell laptop https://youtu.be/r_8yFIYxP4s

It's a pretty decent laptop, cheaper and really good specs, the only cons being using a HDD (with the option of spending the extra money on an extra Ssd that I would really recommend), lack of optical drive, and as you edit photos, the color accuracy is not really high, kind of low, but pretty good for gaming and stuff.

Finally if this last thing results on a dealbreaker, I would go for the first one on the list, as it has a decent extra ssd incuded.

Hope this have being usefull, Ryukens

PD: I picked this decent gpu laptops, for the fact that some games, like the witcher 3, are really gpu demaning, not like dota 2 or minecraft that could ran more smoothly on some low end video cards.

Solution