Laptop for designers

hardtech

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi all,

Could anyone please specify the specs required for laptop ,which use following softwares?

ADOBE SUITE,
3DS MAX,
AUTOCAD,
SOLID WORKS,
REVIT

Using this simultaneously should not LAG the laptop .

Is dual core i7, 16gb ram, 2GB graphics, ssd +hdd enough for this?

Solution
Not really.
An SSD means programs and software will load faster.
It sounds like you're not that big into tech, so just trust me on this one.
That laptop I listed is all that you need, it is a top of the line workstation laptop at a fantastic price.
The Dell is too expensive for what it offers.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Get the laptop I listed, it's a fantastic deal for the price. 8GB should be enough for most, but i've gone for the 12GB variant because of the price.
The only 16GB models cost upwards of 1k, it's a stupid price spike.

hardtech

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Ok. Bbut am looking for opening same apps with multi tast..and this laptop only supports upto 12GB.... i believe 16 GB is required for smooth run..Does 6700Q and 6500 U make much difference? O

Chugalug_

Estimable

hardtech

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Presently they are using 8g i7 itself. but its low performance... when using multiple applications...

Is there big performance difference between HQ and U series of processor in laptops?

Putting an SSD will make much performer right?

Is Dell 5559 good laptop with above specs ?

Chugalug_

Estimable
Not really.
An SSD means programs and software will load faster.
It sounds like you're not that big into tech, so just trust me on this one.
That laptop I listed is all that you need, it is a top of the line workstation laptop at a fantastic price.
The Dell is too expensive for what it offers.

Solution

hardtech

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

That is what i mean.. SSD can perform much better than a HDD in laptop which mostly comes with 5400rpm....

I agree the above laptop is good,, the idea pad one...my doubt is if in case i want to upgrade the ram to 16GB in future....can it be? bcz it shows maximum supported is 12Gb...can I put an HDD into dvd bay..like does it comes with dvd bay?

azekaul

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
If you are running Photoshop, Revit and Autocad together the 16 gig of ram will not handle it all. The 3DS MAX uses Ram a lot as well. If you want something that does not lag you need 36 gigs of ram. I know what will happen you will be working on a few things at once and then your computer will shut down because you are out of ram.
It is best to be safe than sorry.

Depending on your budget you could get:
$1,500 light gaming laptop with an 8 gig GTX 1060 graphics card in it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB0WKVK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wiknixx-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01K1INYD0&linkId=e78dd2baa73d7f03bc21c5dd3a85d9aa&th=1

If you are into gaming this bundle comes with the same laptop with upgraded ssd
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LN4GWWG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2BO0KNUVAJ9AI&coliid=I16LP6QR9CIZYM

This is one of the ones that I am looking at except for the MSI brands.

The only difference between the ones above and this one is that it has a 512 gb ssd.
same price.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GT62VR-Dominator-Gaming-Prebuild

This one has a better screen than all of them but a smaller hard drive. This allows customizations though which is nice.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GT72VR-120HZ-Dominator-Pro-Gaming

The MSI ones I noted buy IBP comes with a free gaming headset, mouse and mousepad.

I would do some searching on your own. If you are looking for something to last you for awhile you need to find something with a 6700HQ CPU, a GTX 1060 6 - 8 gig graphics, and at least 16 gigs of ram.

I hope that you have not bought the laptop they sent you because with that workload it is going to overheat like no other. If you bought it I would advise using a laptop cooler and try to sell it and buy a new one if you can.

Chugalug_

Estimable

You can't upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but I told you, they'll be nearly identical in real use, 12GB is HEAPS.
No you can't put a HDD into a DVD bay....
If you want one you should have let me know before.

azekaul

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

12 gigs of ram is not heaps for what he is trying to do. If you go to the Autodesk website they suggest 16 gb for Revit in complex models. That is for running Revit by itself. Even if he was running Revit with a regular sized model it runs around 4 gigs of ram. 3ds Max recommends 6 gig of ram. Then if you include a browser and Autocad (recommended 8 gigs ) you are talking around 16 or more to be safe.

Chugalug_

Estimable
This is 4GB less, be my guest if you want to find a 16GB laptop that isn't overpriced.
This is the best one I could find, and that means that you're paying $200 more for 4GB more RAM and an older architecture....
Just silly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R44SW5854&cm_re=16GB_RAM_laptop-_-9SIA6R44SW5854-_-Product
If you want any more RAM than 16GB you're looking at over $1500, 12GB is plenty, this is DDR4 memory we're talking not DDR3, the added frequency results in much better performance in video work.

azekaul

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
He stated that there is not a budget limit. I am not sure if you are familiar with the types of programs that he uses but they put a lot of pressure on hardware. I personally am an Architecture student who has been using an Asus gaming laptop for 3 years now. Just with Revit, photoshop and a browser I have caused my laptop to produce a lot of heat.

The type of laptop he needs requires a lot of cooling. The stats for it means nothing if a laptop does not have enough cooling capability. It will cause the laptop to maybe last 2 years max and those 2 years will be filled with overheating.

For an architecture office it is best to get a workstation laptop with a great warranty (decently priced of course) or a gaming laptop. The gaming laptop is cheaper and you can always buy an extended warranty.

Budget is always needed because choosing a laptop is just like you asking a client what their budget is. You want to know because that dictates what options you can get in it.