Laptop for Engineering

runnerdude14

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
1. What is your budget?
I would like to break it into categories to gauge where is worth spending.

Sub $1,000 and then $1000-1500.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~ 13-16"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080p+

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not sure what is reasonable these days. 4+ hours I assume

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Nope

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Will primarily be used for engineering and CAD design for my senior year. Won't be anything super intense but I would like something to take with me to internships/coops or work force.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Best deals.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
NA

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Brand it really just a name here. Looking for a dependable laptop that won't crap out on me. I'd prefer something that isn't terribly heavy, the slimmer the better. Touchscreen and tablet mode is cool but not necessary. I really only want to spend what is worth it without going too overkill. Let me know what you all think.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
CAD programs are heavy on CPU, some benefit from GPU acceleration.
without knowing specifics, it's hard to recommend something.
you will benefit from a laptop with 6 cores/12 threads CPU at least (or 8/16 if it can fit the budget) with some discrete GPU.