Laptop for gaming under 600$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SpyingEnvy

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hello,

I live in Toronto, but I'll be leaving for a few months in July, as a result I wont have my desktop, so I'm looking for a decent laptop to take with me so I can game, I would like to buy it within the next two weeks.

1. What is your budget?
600$ and under

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6 Inch + seems good

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Anything above 1280 x 720 is fine

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, it's not to replace my desktop but to just make sure I can keep playing the games while I'm away

5. How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hours should be enough

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
DotA 2, League of Legends, Skyrim, Starcraft 2 and Devil May Cry 4 are the games I play the most, Med settings on any of these games is just fine, Skyrim is probably the most heavy duty game on the list, if it runs on Med the others should be fine

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
A bit of Illustrator and Photoshop

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320-500gb should be enough

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I don't care for the site as long as it's trustworthy, current laptops that I've seen that interest me are these :

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G51VX-RX05-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Refurbished/dp/B002RX43RE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230216

But I'm really unsure

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Not sure what the average life expectancy is, but 1 year or so, I typed 3-4 earlier, realize it's not very realistic.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-Rom/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
None.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada.
Toronto, Ontario to be more specific.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I don't know too much about computers, especially laptops, my current desktop's parts were selected by my cousin really, so I'm a little insecure when it comes to buying a new laptop but hopefully I'll make a good decision.

Any replies are highly appreciated,
Thank you very much.

SpyingEnvy

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks junky, the Acer seems like a really nice choice, big screen with a good graphics card and i5 proccessor. Though the reviewer stats he prefers the HP, other than audio and a slight weight difference, I wanna check a few more stuff about the laptop itself but I'm really leaning towards it.

SpyingEnvy

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
This one? http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/hp-pavilion-dv6t-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-i5-2430m-cpu-amd-radeon-hd-7690m-1gb-gddr5-gpu-8gb-ddr3-750gb-hdd-680-75-additional-coupon-discount/

SpyingEnvy

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I talked with a few friends, and looked at the refurbished one I posted earlier and decided to go with it, I ordered it today, hopefully it turns out good.
Thanks for all the replies guys, been very very helpful.