Laptop for light gaming and university (computer science)

vil_iam1

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
Hi guys!
So I will be going to university soon to study computer science, most likely be buying a windows laptop and dual booting with linux, and I am in need of a laptop. I want to be able to game as well with fairly light games such as Team Fortress 2 and CSGO (I dont need a laptop for more intensive games like Battlefield or Crysis, then again most computers cant run crysis xD). My main needs in order are:
-Portability (i.e. decent battery life and fairly lightweight)
-Performance whilst programming
-8gb RAM
-An SSD (optional, never had one before so probably wouldnt miss it if i had it. A HDD at 7200rpm should suffice)
-Performance in light gaming (TF2 and CSGO low-mid settings at 60fps hopefully)

I live in Australia so please keep that in mind.

My budget can extend up to $1700AU but would like to keep it at around $1000AU - $1300ish
If there is a laptop that can do this for cheaper, even better xD

Screen size - would like a 14" or 15" since smaller is hard to work on and bigger is a bit hard to lug around on campus.

Solution
hello there i live in america and i dont know what the price differences are between you and me but i just bought this laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711

its a newly released 2015 model it should play all current games on medium settings with no problems i know your not gonna play battlefield you said but im just letting you know you can incase you change our mind its stock setup is real good for what you want to do but at the same time you can upgrade later if you choose to do soo and make it perform better and if your not familiar with computers and such it has 3 M.2 slots so you can add an SSD while keeping the 1tb HDD inside the laptop for storage if that seems to much or to high in price you...

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there i live in america and i dont know what the price differences are between you and me but i just bought this laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711

its a newly released 2015 model it should play all current games on medium settings with no problems i know your not gonna play battlefield you said but im just letting you know you can incase you change our mind its stock setup is real good for what you want to do but at the same time you can upgrade later if you choose to do soo and make it perform better and if your not familiar with computers and such it has 3 M.2 slots so you can add an SSD while keeping the 1tb HDD inside the laptop for storage if that seems to much or to high in price you can look at an ASUS laptop like this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232195

that one is well under your price range but im not sure how well it performs heat wise and under heavy load now i have never used an ASUS laptop so i dont know how good they really are but i chose the MSI over this ASUS or any other ASUS because it has a steel series backlit keyboard and its a 2015 model that i can upgrade with the latest 9 series graphics from nvidia hope thos helps and would love to here what you bought

Solution

morgan payne

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Look for asus rog gl551 its a light weight laptop and can easily achieve 60fps on tf2 and csgo
Pratically any laptop can achive it
I would personally not choose msi as they get very hot

vil_iam1

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
Thank you both for your replies! I checked out MSI GE62 but unfortunately is not available in Australia yet (that is unless I pay about $600 than USD price for it) :( and the GE60 is probably a bit too heavy for uni and bad battery life :/ I believe the ROG is available so I will look into that thanks! I have also seen another laptop that seems pretty light and okay battery with good performance is the Gigabyte P34G V2 but idk if that a bit overkill for me in terms of computer science and gaming :/ I will definitely look into the Asus ROG! Thanks to both of you :)

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
your welcome and yes the ge62 is a 2015 model and just came out soo im not surprised you cant get it yet my ge62 should arrive tuesday i cant wait good luck on your search would like to know what you go with

morgan payne

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

anytime