Laptop for photoshop

HMS-ratters

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi, as the 'techy' in the family I've been asked to reccommend a laptop for a relative who wants to use photoshop as their current one doesn't cut it.

I know photoshop likes ram + CPU but I have no idea on GPU, or even if I need one.

The two options I've looked at are:
i5 8250u +Radeon 530 4Gb
Or
Ryzen 2500u + integrated Vega 8

Both have 8gb ram and SSD boot drive

Which is better for photoshop?

Solution
For some info on screens, check out notebookcheck.net
They do some of the more intensive laptop reviews I've seen around and do very comprehensive breakdowns of the screens.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
They're both quad core CPUs with multi-threading, so their about equal in terms of core count. The AMD runs at a slightly higher speed so I'd imagine it should slightly pull away from the intel.

As for the GPU, while it's not needed for most Photoshop, Photoshop can make use of it. The Vega 8 is the better option overall so that would also get the nod.

Overall, of the two choices, I'd say the Ryzen laptop is the better choice.

HMS-ratters

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Col geek, thanks for the link! There isn't a set budget really, anything less than £1000 I guess.

Looking at that page pushes me a little towards the intel system as having the system memory shared to the igp I feel may hurt more than a beefier (vega) gpu would help

HMS-ratters

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for the tip, it's not actually something I've considered but given the workload I would not consider it vital, more of a bonus. That said I will take care to avoid TN panels in favour of ips, any other things you can reccommend short of actually testing the panels?

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
For some info on screens, check out notebookcheck.net
They do some of the more intensive laptop reviews I've seen around and do very comprehensive breakdowns of the screens.

Solution