Laptop for programming, NOT gaming. Some research done.

Rehv

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello, and thanks in advance for the help!

1. What is your budget? I'd say around 800 usd is the average price for the specs I'm looking for. Could go over it for exceptional build quality, but I'd prefer to stay within budget.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14" to 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?Somewhat portable, I'll need it on the go in some occasions. I'd say 6lbs is the heaviest I can carry around.

5. How much battery life do you need? above 4 hours with some light/medium coding.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No gaming!

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Programming - regular use is 1 browser, 1 IDE (mostly SAP Workbench and Eclipse), 1-2 text editors (varies). Might use some VMs but I have my workstation for that.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?Not much, I'm considering a 256GB SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Dell i7559-763BLK
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG
BestBuy
... and others, can buy from anyone that ships to Miami, FL and accepts international cards.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?3 years+ would be good

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?No optical drive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.Dell is somewhat preferable due to warranty in my country. I stay away from Toshiba and Samsung (on pretty much anything). Friends and family didn't have a good experience with motherboards failing just days after warranty expired (more than once).

13. What country do you live in? Brazil, currently. But I travel to the US and Germany often (on demand, could vary from about 2 to 10 times per year).

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Okay. So I need this notebook for coding/programming/work/travel (I'm currently a SAP ABAP consultant, do some freelances sometimes, also studying).
My absolute needs would be Full HD, with a recent non-U i5 processor(unless convinced otherwise), and 8GB+ RAM (don't care for DDR3L or 4). Pluses would be 256GB+ SSD (could be the only storage in the notebook). The problem is, with all those specs, I mostly find notebooks with dedicated graphics cards. I have a good desktop for gaming/rendering (if needed).
After some (extensive) research, I've found the Dell i7559-763BLK has pretty much everything I need, but it has the GTX 960M which won't see any use. So I'm here to see if anyone can recommend me a reasonable laptop without dedicated graphics within my budget (800 USD). If we can't find anything, I'll settle with the Dell one I've found.

Thanks again in advance!

PS: The reason I didn't try Thinkpads is because their most recent notebooks didn't receive good reviews so I'm kinda afraid. Would love if someone is able to clarify this. I hear that after x30 Thinkpads they're just not as good as before. Thanks!

PS2: I guess I wouldn't mind buying some cheap carcass and adding SSD/RAM later. The problem is some of the newer notebooks come with non removable RAM...

Solution
In college, I use an ASUS ROG laptop as it was recommended by the college. It's something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Republic-Gamers-Laptop-1000GB-Windows/dp/B01578ZK9A
It has 16 GB of RAM, an I7, and a GTX 960m. Though it's directed towards gamers, I never used this for gaming as I have my own custom built PC at home for that. But this is 150 more than your asking price though. Reason for the 16G was because I needed a lot of RAM for VMware.

MeesterYellow

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
In college, I use an ASUS ROG laptop as it was recommended by the college. It's something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Republic-Gamers-Laptop-1000GB-Windows/dp/B01578ZK9A
It has 16 GB of RAM, an I7, and a GTX 960m. Though it's directed towards gamers, I never used this for gaming as I have my own custom built PC at home for that. But this is 150 more than your asking price though. Reason for the 16G was because I needed a lot of RAM for VMware.

Solution