Laptop for recording music and some multi-task

lkerson

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
1. What is your budget? I'm thinking $1,000 US. But I could go a little higher if it was worth it.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I originally thought 15.6". But I think a 17" would also work.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not sure. I think 16x9?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable. I have a good desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need? Maybe 4 hrs. max

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games at all.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Very important: I want to record music from a Korg SV-1, and also midi through virtual music (sampling) software. --- The primary use is for me to open a lot of pages at one time. I'm a writer, and do a lot of research when I'm working.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not sure. I never come close to filling them. Don't know what I'll need for music files.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Costco seems to have some good deals. Here's one I was looking at based on a previous recommendation from this site. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11750714&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4047229%204294967277&Mo=22&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? I've never owned a laptop. I tend to run my desktops into the ground.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I would like to burn high-end discs, and also watch a movie once in awhile.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I've had good results with Dell. Costco has good deals on HP, but I see that some people on this site are tentative about that brand.

13. What country do you live in? USA. Seattle.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'm not so technical, so I don't understand a lot about clocking and all that. In fact, I'm using this forum because I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to stay out of it. I really appreciate the information. It's great that a forum like this exists. Thanks again. Oh, by the way, I'm going to use an audio interface to record.

Message edited by Maziar on 01-28-2012 at 05:45:41 AM

What kind of connections do you need for the SV-1?