Laptop for Student UK

TyGuy1996

Estimable
May 17, 2015
Hi Guys,

I need your help in picking a gaming laptop that I will also be able to do my general college work on - I'm an engineering student, so you can imagine CAD programs are a MUST....
My Budget is Circa £1500-£1700. the laptop cannot be over 15.6' I cannot imagine carrying around a 17.3' laptop all the time. I'm looking to be able to game on it as well - The games I'm looking to play are: The Whitcher 1 & 2 (maybe 3 once it's fixed) maybe GTA V and other games of that mark.

Thanks for your help in this matter and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks,
TY

NB - There is no need to have a big hard drive - most of my documents are put onto Dropbox & external storage units however some storage is necessary.

Solution
Thing with laptops is the shelf life is generally 2 years max.
The 880m was only just over a year old before being superseded by the 980m.

If you keep your ear to the ground you can get good deals on ECG ,Asus & msi models with a 970/980m from time to time.
While a 970m may be underpowered 3 years down the line by that time a superior model will be available & your only looking at an outlay of £8-900 rather than a grand & a half at the minute.
That's £700 or so you'll have to spend on a new one in 2-3 years.

If I was spending a grand or over Id honestly want an IPS screen ,id even take an IPS 1080p over a 4k tn screen for laptop gaming any day of the week.

TyGuy1996

Estimable
May 17, 2015

Both look to be pretty good! my only worry is that the GPU only has 2gb - I've read that it's not really enough nowadays.... I've found the Gigasbyte P35x here which has 8GB (upgradeable to 16) RAM & 8GB 980M GPU - what's your opinion on Gigabyte?
I've seen some things about thermal throttling (but I'm not sure what it even is?)

This Asus ROG also looks to be tremendous value http://

Which one do you think is better? The Asus ROG or the gigabyte?

TyGuy1996

Estimable
May 17, 2015
Sorry for all of the toing and froing from me, I've read that the Aorus X5 will be available soon - and it looks amazing - do you know what Aorus are like in terms of problems ETC ETC.... I've never really heard of them like gigsbyte, MSI Asus and so on, are they decent laptops for college and gaming do you reckon?

TyGuy1996

Estimable
May 17, 2015

Ooo I may have to wait until the x5 is available - obviously depends on the research I and what the masses think about them.

Thanks very much!!!

If you keep your ear to the ground you can get good deals on ECG ,Asus & msi models with a 970/980m from time to time.
While a 970m may be underpowered 3 years down the line by that time a superior model will be available & your only looking at an outlay of £8-900 rather than a grand & a half at the minute.

If I was spending a grand or over Id honestly want an IPS screen ,id even take an IPS 1080p over a 4k tn screen for laptop gaming any day of the week.

Solution

TyGuy1996

Estimable
May 17, 2015

You have a very good point there! from what i've read the Aorus, though really really good get's considerably loud - I've decided I'm going to look at MSI, like you said It's only a short(ish) term thing and does not warrant near enough money to get a Desktop with double the specs just without the portability.

Thanks for all of your help!