Solved! Laptop for Uni and Light Gaming

ultraman

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm on the market for a new laptop for uni, starting next year.

1. What is your budget? Up to AUD$1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13 to 15 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want? Anything over 1366x768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable, but the charger will be with me most of the time

5. How much battery life do you need? A little above average (4.5+ hours?)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Source engine games (L4D2, TF2 on high without AA) and maybe some newer games such as COD and BF on low to medium.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Just the usual..

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500GB+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Australian dealers would be nice, unless there are American ones that deliver to Australia.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? Don't need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like the aesthetics of Thinkpads, except they don't come with dedicated graphics which is a shame.

13. What country do you live in? Australia (Sydney)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

A matte screen is preferred, with a solid constructed body that isn't made of glossy, cheap-looking plastic. Nothing too thick, with lights and grooves all over the place and all of that jazz either (I'm looking at you Alienware).