Laptop for Video Editing / i7 6700 HQ & 970m

standin

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Hey Guys,

I need some help to make a decision between a few machines.
I am using Adobe Premiere and want to get a simliar / or better performance while editing / rendering stuff compared to my PC (i7 3770k, GTX 660, 16GB, Sata SSDs)
Not the fastest computer but it works fine with RED material and DSLR stuff - sure RED 6k files are not smooth in full resolution playback but in 1/8 resolution it works just fine.

So here are my options - I´m thinking to get a i7 6700HQ and 970m 3GB / 6GB, 8GB Ram and 1TB HDD, 1920x1080 screen, USB 3.1 (Will upgrade to 16GB and a 512GB pciE m.2, it´s cheaper when I upgrade the system by myself)

1. MSI GE62-6QF81FD - could pick it up for 1119,-, the thickest one and imo pretty ugly
2. MSI GS40-6QE81FD - 1400,- / just 1,7 kg and thin, thermal problems?
3. Gigabyte P35W v5 - 1249,- / slimmer as the MSI GE62, design looks way better imo but seems to have thermal problems - also 6GB 970m instead of 3GB 970m, but I think this doesnt matter much, right?
4. Gigabyte P34W v5 - 1249,- / almost the same as the GS40, but very loud fans and even more thermal problems

I think I would love to get the P34W v5 because of its lightweight, slim, aesthetic package but I heard about thermal issues which slows the laptop quite a bit (throttling) - not sure if editing would be trigger some kind of throttling but if the other notebooks are faster while rendering proxys or something I would choose another one.

Do you have any tips?

Best
Jens

Solution
If you are getting a system for rendering, don't look for a thin system. Once you get rid of the smaller systems, the models do not matter that much, as long as you stick with the good brands like MSI, ASUS, Clevo, even Lenovo and Dell are OK.
If you are getting a system for rendering, don't look for a thin system. Once you get rid of the smaller systems, the models do not matter that much, as long as you stick with the good brands like MSI, ASUS, Clevo, even Lenovo and Dell are OK.

Solution