Laptop for Web and Graphic Development and Deisgn

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
1. What is your budget?
Max - $1500, but I would not mind staying well below that, if at all possible for my needs.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both, really. I would like to use it in clamshell mode with external monitors, but take it out and use it at work (1 day in the office a week) and for school.

5. How much battery life do you need?
The more the better, but it will most likely be plugged in most of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
It would be nice, but certainly is not a deal breaker if it cannot.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Web/Graphic design and development. Running Adobe CC apps, multiple browsers, browser tabs, Netflix and streaming from local home network and mostly running simultaneously.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 500GB and SSD preferably.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I am open.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible, or until it dies or is not able to perform my tasks any longer.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am pretty much open, but from what I have read around the web many stay away from HP.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am looking for something that will run the tasks I wrote. I really need to know if I should pick one with a dedicated GPU or if I can get away with using an iGPU.

Thank you in advance for your help, advice and suggestions.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
You could look into something like the Lenovo Y50, as you can get one with 1080p + i7-4710xx (Great for the tasks you listed, as those are mostly CPU bound) as well as a dedicated graphics card. Reviews I've read say the 1080p model can get around 5 hours on battery when surfing the web. In addition, you could go for a small SSD and upgrade it yourself, or lenovo offers a 512GB model.

Sorry about lack of links, I'm having some minor technical difficulties.