Question Laptop FPS drops

ddule.srb

Prominent
Apr 4, 2018
Hi, my girlfriend has an old Acer aspire 7740g( i know it's old). She was running CS:GO fine for a couple of months and then it started to have fps drops. It runs well and after a minute, it starts to drop the FPS from around 60-70 to 30 or less and stay there for 10ish seconds and go back up. Has an i5 430M CPU, 6GB RAM and an HD mobile 5650. Doesn't have an HDD, i bought an SSD for her to ease up the possible stutter she had before that an old HDD created. I installed a fresh Win10 pro on it. Temperatures are, for a laptop i think, fine. Maxes 80c across the GPU and CPU, but mostly stays on 80 almost all the time. It's super clean and i replaced the old thermal paste with the new CoolerMaster one. She really only plays CS:GO so i shut down almost all the possible settings to maximize performance, from simple appearance of Windows to shutting down alot of services( printing, touchpad, superfetch etc etc). The GPU in CS:GO is being used on around 50-70% and CPU on around 50%, it has 2c4t. Only possible problem would be the RAM memory? It says in the system information that it's 6GB(available 5.86). Doesn't mean anything but it's the only possible thing that is the problem. I'm tech savy but i really don't know what's the problem here and never seen a problem like this. I've read somewhere that it could be the problem with the battery where the FPS drops because it goes from performance to battery save modes but it's always on the cable charging ( dead battery). Any clues what this is and the possible fix? She's getting a new PC in a couple of months anyway but it's nothing confirmed so it's best also to try and fix this in the meanwhile and survive until then.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 2
J Laptop General Discussion 7
S Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 4
P Laptop General Discussion 1
W Laptop General Discussion 18
E Laptop General Discussion 5
L Laptop General Discussion 1