Whalebone

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
I have an Asus laptop with windows 10. I got it about a week ago and it was working okay, apart from a few issues that seem to be windows 10 bs. Theoretically I may or may not have torrented Fallout 4. The computer was fine after this theoretical event until it was restarted. After the restart it attempted to start up, but instead showed me a blue error screen with the " : ( " on it that said something like "Your PC isn't working" and had three options, 2 of which were to restart and advanced options. (the third may have been shut down...I'm not sure.) A few restarts later, it would freeze at the Asus logo until i turned it off again. After several dozen restarts and a "successful" automatic repair, (done from the advanced options on the error screen) it will now either freeze at the login screen, right after the desktop loads, or after I log in and I click on something- it can be anything. I have been able to access safe mode. (For whatever reasons the function keybindings do not work- I haven't been able to use them since I got the laptop, I thought I should throw that in there. Laptop was bought used.) Please help me.

Solution

Okay. Try this command instead: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It might hang around 20% completion for awhile; just give it some time (about 5 - 10 minutes).

After that completes, reboot the PC, go back to the command prompt, and try that sfc /scannow command. If it still does not work, you might need to reset...
"Theoretically?" Lol.

If you can still access those advanced recovery options, try this:

1) Find the command prompt option and select that
2) At the command prompt (black screen, white text), type this exactly: sfc /scannow

If that command finishes successfully but still doesn't resolve your issue, go back to the advanced options and try a restore point; preferably the most recent one, or at least the one dated just prior to when you theoretically ran into this problem. :p Hopefully this helps.

Whalebone

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016

I tried both- the command prompt scanned the system, but then gave me an error message that said "Windows Resource Protection could not preform the requested operation." I attempted to restore it, and I got another error that said "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x800700b7)"

Okay. Try this command instead: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It might hang around 20% completion for awhile; just give it some time (about 5 - 10 minutes).

After that completes, reboot the PC, go back to the command prompt, and try that sfc /scannow command. If it still does not work, you might need to reset (factory reset) or reinstall (format + reload) Windows, which will erase your data.

Solution