laptop freezing due to graphic card

Rimi Sidhu

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
my lenovo y560 with ati mobility radeon madison is facing some problem due to graphic card ... if i change the ati powerplay setting to maximum performance "laptop freezes some time insistently and many time after next restart" and if i keep it to maximum battery life then "it freezes if i play video online & did not shutdown completely " help me what should i do as my laptop is not in warranty no???

swagatrath

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
what are the GPU and CPU temperatures when the freeze happens? How old is the laptop? If its more than 4-5 years old, may be clean the fan air vents and also re-applying thermal paste would help...

Rimi Sidhu

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

sir ... before freezing gpu temperature was average 48 deg c and just at freeze it shows 61 deg c there after i can see the fan speed raising and lot of heat outside fan vents. and my laptop is 3 &1/2 years old . i had already cleaned air vents and one more thing i noticed that laptop freezes when gpu core clock crosses 300mhz

swagatrath

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
when did the problem start occurring? did you update the display drivers or try any sort of overclocking?

The laptop specs as per google search are (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y560-Notebook.33963.0.html):-
i7 720qm @ 1.6GHz
ati hd 5730 - 1GB @ 600MHz

Is this correct?

So freezing after crossing 300MHz doesn't seem to be the root cause...
What are the CPU temps? Try logging with HwInfo tool and post screen shots...
Also do you get a blue screen or just system hang?