Laptop Freezing Or Screen Turns Black Just after Powering On

Nobbo91

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Hey guys so my current laptop that i have been using the past couple of months is Compaq Presario CQ62 (model:310AU). over the past couple of months i have been upgrading the laptop, i added 4gb of ram, i added a ssd and also change the processor from a crappy 1 core 2.3 to a dual core 2.9. anyway i knew with the new processor that the laptop will run hotter but ever since i installed it i was monitoring the motherboard and cpu temp with HW Monitor and the highest temp the board and processor would ever get to would be about 70 degrees Celsius now i know that is on the warmer side but when it did actually get to those temps it didn't stay there for long and also the laptop never really froze or restarted due to heat issues. anyway last night everything was fine and i decided to do a fresh install of windows but half way through the installation it froze so i restarted the laptop and tried to do another re format.

now here is my problem every time i start the laptop it gets to about bios screen the laptop freezes or otherwise it turns on but i have a blank screen and cant see anything. now i have tried to diagnose this myself i haven't had much luck. i have attached a external monitor when i start the laptop and seems to not work on both screens, i have tried switching the ram,ram slots, switching the ssd for another hdd, i also switched back to the old previous processor that came with the laptop, i took out the battery on the mobo to reset the bios but after all of that i still have the exact same problem. so the only other thing i can think of is maybe try re soldering the on board gpu chip to see if that worked otherwise i think it has to be a motherboard issue. i have looked to see if i can see any signs of heat damage on the board but cant see nay/ dont really know what to exactly look for.

pretty much don't want to spend the money on another mobo unless i am certain that is the cause as laptop mobos are not the cheapest to replace. just wondering if anyone would have any advice on my issue or be able to help me pin point exactly why the laptop is acting the way it is.

sorry for the novel just thought i should share as much as possible to help work out the problem

Thanks.

Nobbo91

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

It did have windows 10 but I was reformatting it to windows 7. Anyways I have tried booting from usb and cd drive but neither worked. As I don't think it's operating system issue more like hardware I'm assuming.

Nobbo91

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Okay I fixed my issue and the laptop is up and working again for now. For anyone that comes across a similar issue. I just had to reflow the onboard graphics chip. I looked on YouTube and just took a heat gun to the gpu chip for a couple of minutes then re assembled the laptop and now I don't get the black screen and the laptop doesn't freeze and managed to do a fresh install of windows.