Solved! Laptop Freezing. RAM or Battery Issue? Dell Inspiron 15 7577

aweil1

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 gaming laptop. For the past few months, it has been randomly freezing. The only way to unfreeze the screen is to plug in the power and then unplug. The memory usage is usually pretty high (75%-93%, I have a lot of stuff open simultaneously). This never happens during gaming, but just when in other applications (Office, Chrome, etc.). Could this be a battery issue, a RAM issue, or something else? I have 8gb of RAM and could install 16gb if that would help. Here are my specs, and I can add more detail if it would help!

Dell Inspiron 15 7577
i5-7300HQ (2.5GHz)
8GB of DDR4 RAM, 2400
128SSD + 1TB HHD

Solution
It sounds more like a usage problem. To many things taking up to much of the system resources. The battery settings may not be able to handle it all. Plus just closing anything, or minimizing it, doesn't free up the resources.

You may want to try going into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options". In there click on "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan you are using, and then click on "Change advanced power settings". In here check all the options listed to make sure nothing there is the cause. Then once you are done with your changes, click "Apply" and then "OK". I would suggest then rebooting (turning it off and back on) the computer after all this to see if the problem is resolved.

If it happens again, take note of how...
It sounds more like a usage problem. To many things taking up to much of the system resources. The battery settings may not be able to handle it all. Plus just closing anything, or minimizing it, doesn't free up the resources.

You may want to try going into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options". In there click on "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan you are using, and then click on "Change advanced power settings". In here check all the options listed to make sure nothing there is the cause. Then once you are done with your changes, click "Apply" and then "OK". I would suggest then rebooting (turning it off and back on) the computer after all this to see if the problem is resolved.

If it happens again, take note of how quickly it occurs and at what percentage the battery power is as well.

Solution