Laptop Gaming and Battery

Zeekayy

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I have recently bought a laptop and I'm willing to play CS:GO on it, I do play it and the biggest thing coming in between is the battery, I charge my laptop till like 97% and give it some rest, then I turn it on and run nothing else except the game but it doesn't seem to give me enough time, I hardly play like 5-6 online matches and my battery goes down from 40-30%.

Is there anyway to get the most juice out of your laptop battery? I've thought of keeping my laptop plugged in while playing but that will ruin the battery completely obviously.
I don't want a gaming pc right now because I'm shortly broke and It costs too much time and money.

suggestions are appreciated.

Regards.

My laptop: HP 15-R204NE Notebook PC.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Keep your laptop plugged in the whole time if you are gaming. Gaming will demand the most resources from your laptop hardware including your battery. If you are worried about your battery, don't be. It should be the first thing that dies on your laptop and you should expect to replace it in 2-3 years no matter what, anyway.

No it won't ruin the battery keeping it plugged in. Where laptops used to charge the battery to 100% and then keep them at 100% while plugged in by delivering a constant trickle charge to the battery, todays laptops manage battery charging much differently. My last 4 laptops over the last 3 years will charge the battery to 100%, but then stop charging the battery completely as long as the battery stays above a 95% level of charge, and will only start charging again at 94%. My laptop stays plugged in 24/7, and it only charges maybe once every 2 weeks when the battery loses that 5 percent of its charge because it is just sitting there. Batteries will slowly lose some of their charge even when not being used. Anyway, this system relieves the battery of the constant trickle charge, which wore out batteries prematurely.

Zeekayy

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015

I find that very hard to believe my friend. If I do that I suppose I'll have the battery replaced not in 2-3 years but like in 2-3 days. I have had a very very bad experience with my previous laptop that didn't end up good, it's sitting in the trash now.

You'll have a really hard time convincing me of that, I literally get scared to charge up my laptop's battery all the way upto 100%, I don't suppose all laptop batteries and adapters are made the same, I know atleast mine is not. HP calls their adapter 'Smart AC Adapter' but I highly doubt it would do any good to my battery.
And can you explain trickle charging please?

I would rather turn myself to the jungle infront of 10 Jaguars ready to have a meal.

A trickle charge is a low current charge continuously applied to the battery while plugged in to keep it topped off so it is 100% ready to be used the minute you need to unplug it to use a laptop on battery power. A largely discontinued practice these days.

Although you will probably doubt that, too.

Zeekayy

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015

No I don't doubt that, and I wouldn't doubt your first post either. But it's your experience that holds you back, I guess you didn't like what I said.

If you play games on a laptop, even a good battery will only give you maybe 2 hours, if that. Is that about how long you get? You have 3 options, keep the thing plugged in while playing, remove the battery and run only on wall power, live with the time you get now if you don't want to do the other two.

Newer laptops and batteries do a much better job than a few years ago of keeping battery life up, and your laptop power settings may even have an option to change the charging profile for max battery life.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'm a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and deal with 100's of laptops a month. There is no voodoo in your battery. If you had bad experiences in the past, chalk it up to some bad luck. The battery is a consumable part on a laptop, not a permanent fixture. The only other advice I could offer you is to get a desktop PC for gaming if you are frightened of laptop batteries.

Zeekayy

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015

It's not the battery that I'm worried about, it's about the laptop I'm worried about, although partially I am worried about the battery because it has to handle all the current a system has to take so it's important not to get it messed up.

If suppose out of luck something happens to the battery it stops providing the required amount of power or suppose the AC adapter get's cranky with the voltage or current, aren't the motherboard or any other internal parts going to be harmed?

I apologise if this is annoying but I do have a fear. Anything can happen.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
You're going to have to have some faith in the manufacturer's design. You could walk this road with any product. The only time I've seen a battery physically ruin a laptop, it was due to a crack in the battery which allowed acid to leak out into the compartment. The crack appeared to be the result of a drop(physical abuse).

Electrically, there are components in place to minimize catastrophic failures. Regulatory bodies inspect manufacturer's power related products at least semi-annually. They inspect a critical component list and review test data of product. Typically, if you see a MET or UL label on something it is pretty safe.

If you are afraid of the battery damaging the laptop while it's being used you may as well stop using the computer because you playing on it can damage the video card or CPU, you can spill something on it, you can knock it off the table, your dog can chew on it, the hard drive can crash.

Laptops are made to be used with batteries, you don't have to worry about it damaging anything anymore than anything else you do with the computer will.

If you want to not worry about it, remove the battery when it's on wall power.