Laptop GPU Question

VermilionNeko

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
I've just bought my very first laptop - a mid-range gaming rig - and I've noticed that it has both the dedicated GPU AND onboard graphics enabled at the same time. Is this normal? Is there any way to disable the onboard graphics without causing interference? I tried disabling it via the Device Manager, but it looks like the laptop uses that for the display. I've checked the BIOS and couldn't find any option to disable it there either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Solution
You will be using one or the other, but not both at the same time.
Which one is selected depends on the need for power savings or the need for graphics power.
How you control this is in part through the control panel power settings.
And, in part from the gpu control panel. There you can select integrated for battery savings, or discrete for graphics power.
Some laptops may do this via a switch(speed/economy)

VermilionNeko

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Ah, okay. Good to know. I've also noticed that you can pick which you want to use for a game either by right clicking a game icon or by selecting an option in the NVIDIA Control Panel. :)

Thanks

geofelt

Distinguished
You will be using one or the other, but not both at the same time.
Which one is selected depends on the need for power savings or the need for graphics power.
How you control this is in part through the control panel power settings.
And, in part from the gpu control panel. There you can select integrated for battery savings, or discrete for graphics power.
Some laptops may do this via a switch(speed/economy)

Solution