Laptop graphics become broken and not responding

jason.christian.92

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
Hello,

I am having problems with my gigabyte laptop. When I turned it on 3 days ago, it didn't turn on, but rather gave short beep with long delay. Out of 5 LED indicator on bottom right, only the top most was turned on. When the short beep happened, the 3rd LED from the top was on, but then off again.

After waiting for 5-10 mins, it booted up (1st and 3rd LED went on) and entered windows 7. After several seconds, the screen's graphics suddenly went broken. I was not able to move my mouse, used my keyboard, or do anything. After several seconds, it died and then the cycle continued. Below is the image of the monitor's graphic

screenbroken.jpg

It has been happening until today. My laptop spec is as follow:
- Gigabyte P2542
- Intel core i7
- Nvidia GTX 660M 2 GB + Intel Graphics 4000 on board
- 8 GB RAM
- Windows 7 Home Premium

What I have tried:
- Opened the back case and cleaned up the dust
- Updated the display drivers
- I am not able to open the case further to inspect the RAM and graphics card due to lack of tools and knowledge
- I am also not able to bring the laptop to a service center because there isn't any near my place in Darmstadt, Germany

This laptop has been with me for 5 years and still running great. I still want to use this laptop before even considering of buying a new one

Thanks before

Solution
Ok, try using the intel graphics, and see if it fixes things. Plug an hdmi cable and connect it to a monitor and if it displays clear proper image, then its your monitor. If your GPU is damaged, then you cant do anything in regards to it. The GPU in laptops is soldered on the mobo, so you will have to take it to a customer service expert.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Ok, try using the intel graphics, and see if it fixes things. Plug an hdmi cable and connect it to a monitor and if it displays clear proper image, then its your monitor. If your GPU is damaged, then you cant do anything in regards to it. The GPU in laptops is soldered on the mobo, so you will have to take it to a customer service expert.

Solution

jason.christian.92

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

By default, it is using the intel graphics. I will try plugging HDMI cable to external monitor after work. Thanks for the response