Laptop Graphics Cards (970m vs. 980m)

snipez_101

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015
Hi, I am looking to purchase a new gaming laptop (want a desktop but I travel to much for one). I've been looking around online and cant find to much on the gtx 970m and the gtx980m. I've only one question about them, is the 970m good enough for my needs, or should I splurge and get the 980m? I want to play games like bf4 and Skyrim at med. to ultra settings at 1080p, and maybe even some newer games like GTA 5 and Fallout 4. I also don't want the frame rates to be too low but I'm not the kind of person who needs all his games at 60+ fps. Any other advice about gaming laptops is welcome. Thanks!

Solution
If you are okay with medium graphics quality at 1080p, then you can drop down to a GTX 960m. But if you can afford a laptop with a GTX 970m / GTX 980m, then that would be recommended because the more powerful the GPU the longer it will last you especially if you do not mind using medium graphic settings as the laptop ages.

It's hard to say how much longer you can play games with a GTX 970m vs. a GTX 960m, but I would say at least 2 years easy if you don't really mind medium graphic settings. With a GTX 980m I would say you would likely get another 2 years on top of the GTX 970m.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Well if that is the case and the highest you are going is something along the lines of Fallout at med-ultra then the 970m would be plenty, however if you have the extra cash to toss in always go for the better one so that it can last you an year or so longer.

Thing with laptops, they are tough and often pricy to upgrade. If you can buy a system with a 980m now, do that instead of settling for something lesser.

A 970m is good for games, even higher end ones. But will it be good for games in a year or two? Or will it play games smoothly and at good quality all the time? Maybe not. Then you would have plopped down $1,400 on a so-so system vs spending another $200 on a good system that you don't have to worry about, or at least not be thinking every week "should have gotten the better one". If you were looking at $1,000 vs $1,500 to spend is one thing, but many systems with a 970m can cost as much as some with a 980m, so there is not much there to stop you from a 980m.

If you are okay with medium graphics quality at 1080p, then you can drop down to a GTX 960m. But if you can afford a laptop with a GTX 970m / GTX 980m, then that would be recommended because the more powerful the GPU the longer it will last you especially if you do not mind using medium graphic settings as the laptop ages.

It's hard to say how much longer you can play games with a GTX 970m vs. a GTX 960m, but I would say at least 2 years easy if you don't really mind medium graphic settings. With a GTX 980m I would say you would likely get another 2 years on top of the GTX 970m.

Solution