laptop having super puzzling problems

pugchampion

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
Ok so i have a laptop that will not turn on iv tried doing the holding the power button and taking out the battery and that has not worked i did some more research and it seemed ordering a new laptop adapter to charge it with might work so i did that made sure it was compatible with my laptop and i just received it today and took the battery out and tried to turn it on still nothing! any ideas i want this laptop too work so badly so i have something to hold me over for the next few months while im saving up for a new gaming pc.

Solution

Companies like HP, lenovo, etc don't really use the same motherboard in a wide range of laptop models, so in order to get a motherboard for an older laptop from them it's generally a LOT more money than you would first imagine, let alone what they would charge to send it in so they can replace the motherboard.

For example, this same problem happened to a lenovo laptop where I work, the laptop was purchased in 2011 and the warranty was expired, for the motherboard they wanted something like $250, and to have lenovo repair it they gave us some outrageous price like $650... the laptop was only ~$400...

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Where did you purchase it from? Does it have any sort of warranty? If so, depending on where you got it, you can send it in and they'll most likely replace the motherboard... One thing you can try is take the battery out, press the power button 10 times and on the 11th time hold it down for 30 seconds, let go of the power button and then plug the AC adapter into a wall outlet and into the laptop (while the battery is still out), then try powering it on. It already sounds like you've done something similar which should have discharged residual power from components but it's worth a try.

pugchampion

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
its from 2009 its a g72 series it hasent been working for like 2 years iv just recently decided i should try and fix it and it has no gpu just windows intergrated graphics

pugchampion

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

i purchased it from hp in 2009 it stopped working in 2012 but i just recently decided i should fix it tried the power thing etc none of them seem to work

pugchampion

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

yeah thats what iv been starting to lean into concidering nothing else has worked is it work trying to replace the mother board?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Companies like HP, lenovo, etc don't really use the same motherboard in a wide range of laptop models, so in order to get a motherboard for an older laptop from them it's generally a LOT more money than you would first imagine, let alone what they would charge to send it in so they can replace the motherboard.

For example, this same problem happened to a lenovo laptop where I work, the laptop was purchased in 2011 and the warranty was expired, for the motherboard they wanted something like $250, and to have lenovo repair it they gave us some outrageous price like $650... the laptop was only ~$400!!!

You could try searching amazon/ebay/etc for the same motherboard and replacing it yourself but you may end up digging an even bigger hole. I'm not even sure you could find these older, phased-out mobo's on e-commerce sites, they're not like desktop mobo's that, as long as they match the right form factor, fit any case

Solution

pugchampion

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

yeah well ill just keep on saving up for my gameing pc i think the 2 months of less computer will be worth the wait for the gtx 970 thanks for all the help :) too bad laptops gotta be a huge pain in the butt to fix lol