Laptop heating problem Lenovo Y560

Shocate

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Hello! I have a laptop Lenovo Ideapad Y560 i5 430M with 1Gb video card Ati Radeon 5730 and at the begging in works fine, after i enter a game or the laptop warms up it's getting a bit slow. I don't know what the problem may be, i've recently installed a SSD and the problem doesn't disappear. Is a processor or video card problem, or the laptop is not working when it's warm? Thank you anticipated

Solution
If it is sitting on laptop cooler, then I would simply remove the underside laptop panel. Doing so can significantly reduce heat. For example, when encoding videos on my Y470 the i5-2410m would hit 90c. Removing the panel the CPU temp drops to 82c.

You can go one step further an attempt to lower the temps a little bit by replacing the thermal paste. However, this step requires you to take apart your laptop so that you can remove the heatsink and clean up the old thermal paste, and then apply new thermal paste.

Lastly, you can disable Turbo Boost. This will prevent the CPU from overclocking itself and should lower heat by 6c - 8c. Of course this means you will also loose performance.

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
just make sure you are not blocking any intake or outlet airways of your laptop by keeping on bed or in your lap or similar conditions covering your laptop from below or sides.

Shocate

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
the laptop sits inclined, that allows air to flow, on a wooden table. I cleaned even the ventilator. I used a external cooler, the same problem in games :(. If you have any oder ideas, please tell me. Thanks

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

what are the highest temperatures you getting on laptop of cpu and gpu?
Also what games are you trying to play when you get such problem?

If it is sitting on laptop cooler, then I would simply remove the underside laptop panel. Doing so can significantly reduce heat. For example, when encoding videos on my Y470 the i5-2410m would hit 90c. Removing the panel the CPU temp drops to 82c.

You can go one step further an attempt to lower the temps a little bit by replacing the thermal paste. However, this step requires you to take apart your laptop so that you can remove the heatsink and clean up the old thermal paste, and then apply new thermal paste.

Lastly, you can disable Turbo Boost. This will prevent the CPU from overclocking itself and should lower heat by 6c - 8c. Of course this means you will also loose performance.

Solution

Shocate

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Functioning normal the CPU has 51-53 degree C the GPU 58-60 C, when load CPU has 78-80 C and the GPU has 74-75 C. I've noticed when the GPU reaches 70 C it starts to frame in GTA IV.

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

try to run game on medium or low graphics. Your gpu just passes minimum requirement and far below than recommended requirement on gamedebate.com. See if that helps.

JacobF

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
I bought my Lenovo y560 in 2013. I also played games on it and oneday the GPU overheated and the whole computer crashed. Luckily I still had a warranty, so I simply exchanged it for a new one. But I have learnt my lesson.

This laptop is simply not built for applications requiring too much processing. It has the hardware, but the cooling system falls far behind. Be extremely cautious when playing games. Always play on the lowest graphics settings (Especially games like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry, both of which is by Ubisoft and for some reason heats up your CPU like nothing else).

Also, before playing, go to windows power options and set the maximum processor speed to 90% or less. This will significantly reduce the heat your processor produces.

If you want, you can even go into your GPU settings and select the most basic graphical processing options.

Rather safe than sorry